Parts express door lock actuators...

kikboxr1

Founding Member
Jun 23, 2000
Atlanta, GA
I bought these door lock actuators from Parts Express...I actually had some previously installed but I had bought them on eBay. Well, my first set lasted about 2 weeks, and after getting the replacements in, they are acting funny as well. I can't install them the jrichker way because I tossed out the whole original actuator assembly with the mounting bracket last time. :nonono:

Anyways, I've drilled new mounting points for them on the inside of the door behind the door panel, and they sit between the window and the door metal. For a linkage I just used what comes with the actuators and attached them to the door knob shaft thing.

The problem I am having is the actuators don't want to push the shaft up when I push unlock. I tested it without the linkage (i.e. without any resistance) as well, and it still is rough on the unlock motion. I noticed some black stuff on the inside of the wire - is it possible the wiring is corroded and I will have to replace a section of the wiring? I tested it with a digital multimeter, and both the lock and unlock wires show about 12.3 volts when the corresponding button is pushed, so I didnt think the problem was in the wiring since the voltage showed the same on both... And I didnt think it was related to the mounting position because the actuator has a tough time going up even when it isnt attached. Any ideas? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Measure the voltage while you are using the actuator to move the door lock. Push the lock/unlock button & hold it long enough to get a steady reading. You should see the 12 volts both lock & unlock directions.

im not sure i follow exactly (im tired). i would lube the linkage and the whole lock assembly. also, it sounds like your mounting is not totally rigid - it really needs to be. those little actuators have decent torque.
i bet you could get a U-shaped metal bracket at the home store and fab up something similar to the original bracket that held the oem actuator. just in case all else fails.

good luck.