Parts washer fluid

millhouse

Founding Member
May 14, 2002
Simpsonville, SC
I just picked up a 20 gallon parts cleaner and am just curious as to what everyone is using in their parts washer fluid wise? I've heard numerous different combinations but am unclear what is the standard (i.e. what do shops use?). I picked up a couple of 1 gallon containers of greased lightning with a recommended parts washer dilution of 10:1. Is there a better alternative?

• Sponsors (?)

Tetrachloroethylene, AKA brake parts cleaner. It is non flammable and cut grease better than anything else I have seen.

Talk to the dry cleaners in your area, since it is also used to dry clean clothes. They may be able to connect you to a cheap supply of it.

I use what used to be Castrol Super Clean, but now is the same stuff just different company sells it (can't remember the name now). It works much better than Greased Lightning, and it cuts grease and grime better than brake parts cleaner most of the time. I buy it at Menards in a big purple jug of concentrate.

+1 for brake cleaner, or if you know any printers see if they can hook you up with some MKE (or is MEK, i forget and i use the stuff weekly lol) we use the stuff at work on the presses and it takes everything off, if you leave the rag on a painted surface it won't be painted for to long, its pretty nasty stuff tough so i would just stick with brake cleaner

Tetrachloroethylene, AKA brake parts cleaner. It is non flammable and cut grease better than anything else I have seen.

Talk to the dry cleaners in your area, since it is also used to dry clean clothes. They may be able to connect you to a cheap supply of it.

After reading some material about Tetrachloroethylene, I'm going to have to say no on that one! That's some nasty stuff...horrible for the skin...horrible to breath...causes all types of short/long term organ/neurological damage.

The more I read on the subject the more I think I'm going to go with a water based alternative....that is unless someone knows of an alternative that is not so dangerous. Keep in mind too that this a 20 gallon parts cleaner…and I'm not willing to spend more on the liquid than the cleaner itself.

After reading some material about Tetrachloroethylene, I'm going to have to say no on that one! That's some nasty stuff...horrible for the skin...horrible to breath...causes all types of short/long term organ/neurological damage.

The more I read on the subject the more I think I'm going to go with a water based alternative....that is unless someone knows of an alternative that is not so dangerous. Keep in mind too that this a 20 gallon parts cleaner…and I'm not willing to spend more on the liquid than the cleaner itself.

Usually the best cleaning stuff is bad for you,lol. :rolleyes:

But really,mineal spirits is great and its cheap.Does leave some residue,so you got blow it off after wards,but no big deal really.