PCV Valve help....

five_o_stang

Jan 8, 2004
Georgia
Someone give me a detailed run down on every step of the pcv valve removal/install and any little "side" parts I may need...If I screw this up I won't be able to get back to the parts store for a week....I can hardly see the little booger and I don't want to screw this one up...gimme an estimated time it should take, etc. I guess i could do this in the parkinglot of the parts store.. I don't know when the last time this thing was changed so if I need something besides the valve itself...please let me know...thanks guys.

• Sponsors (?)

it should take about 10-15 seconds depending on how skinny your arm is, just stick your arm behind the upper intake and take off the pcv hose and pull out the pcv valve, stick the new one in the hole and put the hose back on top of it, there your done....but you might want to check the breather screen under the pcv valve....even though it sounds simple, your gonna need some pliers to pull it out so you may have to take off the upper intake...

ok...i found the lil bugger....and i noticed two things....

1)...there's a good bit of oil around the intake there...outside of the valve...and 2) i was able to look down there and couldn't see any kind of screen or anything else..
I'll be damned if I'm gonna take off my intake...i'm not that competent yet...nor do I have a torque wrench...

Just I just replace the valve or am i screwed?....

yup...just replace the valve. If the valve is new and the screen isnt in bad condition then your fine. Just make sure you get everything back together the way it came out and your set.

you dont need to remove the upper to do it. can you stick your finger or a screwdriver down in the PCV cavity when the valve is out? confirm that there is no screen in there. if you do have one and it is clogged, a new valve will not help you much, nor perform properly.

if not mentioned, get a new valve, preferrably Motorcraft. others dont fit well. get a new rubber grommet and a new screen. all are a little over 20 bucks at the ford dealer here.
in a pinch you can soak the old screen overnight in carb cleaner, etc.
make sure you have the screen.
good luck.

While your in there, replace the rubber grommet that the PCV valve fits into. I just replaced mine because I had the upper off. 9 times out of 10, the breather screen is fine but the rubber grommet gets stiff and doesn't seal the hole. I picked up mine at Advance, it cost $2.50. I could feel a difference just putting the new one in as it slid in with some resistance, and the old one slid out effortlessly (and actually popped out a few times last summer). Definately do this! :nice: