PI motor cheaper than PI swap?

I did the PI engine swap last year. I would definitely recomend it especially if you have higher miles already on your car. Swapping the motor was a breeze for my mechanic. Saved a lot of labor compared to head swapping. All you reuse is Coil packs, Fuel rails, alternator and tap the temp sensor. I didn't need a tune and with a bunch of bolt ons I dynoed at 260 Hp and 300ftlbs at the wheels. About the same as the higher compression pi head swaps. Also easy to add Long tubes while your engine is out. I just added a supercharger without needing to change the pistons or anything to drop the compression so that will also save you money in the long run if you ever plan on a power adder.

• Sponsors (?)

MyEarsHurt said:
Non pi motor has dished pistons. Its not that hard to swap the heads with the engine in the car. There are a few parts that are a pain, but nothing unbearable. When you go to put the new heads on, you may need another set of hands...but thats no big deal. You are gonna pay a lot more for a PI motor than just paying for the swap. Plus, you know your bottom end is okay, if you get a used PI motor, you have no idea what the condition of the heads/bottom end is in.

If you do the PI swap, you can clean up the whole engine bay, replace all the gaskets, and when you are done, the new heads have 0 miles on them. If you get a pi motor used, then its all used, and who knows what the previous owner did to it.

I vote for headswap as opposed to engine swap.

You make a good point but if you have a bottom end with well over 100k miles on it, then you might as well get the motor OR spend the extra $$$ to rebuild your bottom end when you get the new heads which might be the best option. I still like the sound of that Explorer block though, especially owning a 'Vert, I think the extra lost weight would be a blessing in "Disguise"! :D

I just did the pi engine swap two weeks ago and it was a breeze, the car fired right up with one lil minor problem, i had my vaccum lines crossed but other that it was very quick and easy. The whole job took a day and half, i re used my wire harness and coils plugs, i used the block drain hole for my second temp sensor. i would recommend getting a complete engine thst just the head swap. i got a brand new 02 engine for 1800. you might want to check out greenleaf.com they have lots of pi engines with low miles

I posted a similar thread over the weekend, and have made the decision to go with a PI motor. I have not been able to find more than one source for used PI motors, mustang parts specialties and they want $1700 for them. Does anyone know of other places that sell the PI motors? Also I asked this before but I have longtubes already and wanted to know if they will still work on the PI motor? Anybody done the swap and already had headers and was able to bolt them to the new PI motor?

9646gt said:
Well great to see ya around the boards again..hopefully I can start shopping for ome in a month or so and get mine swapped out..
I'm guessing you have a bit of money a side to this, as either route will cost a few $$$'s

Personally what I would do is find a 99+ PI engine in as good condition/low milage as your wallet will allow, strip it down and rebuild the bottom end if you plan on a blower later put some more exciting cams (if going for a blower match the cams for that) in there and get the heads ported & polished.

This way the engine will be ready to go, so you should be able to swap the old one out in a weekend if you have a mate or two helping. You could then flogg your old motor (someone will buy it).

This means you should be pushing over 300bhp n/a and a big increase over your old motor, if you then decide to add a blower 450-500rwhp should be realistic.

This might not be the cheapest option but even if you have to wait a few months extra to save up I'm sure it would be well worth it once completed.

Engine
Ford Mustang 4.6L 10K MILES 051205 $1350 American Dismantlers USA-MI(Detroit) E-mail 1-800-928-8690

I will be making a call tomorrow.. My car just crossed over into the 116k realm, so I'd rather swap engines..

98blackmagic said:
I posted a similar thread over the weekend, and have made the decision to go with a PI motor. I have not been able to find more than one source for used PI motors, mustang parts specialties and they want $1700 for them. Does anyone know of other places that sell the PI motors? Also I asked this before but I have longtubes already and wanted to know if they will still work on the PI motor? Anybody done the swap and already had headers and was able to bolt them to the new PI motor?

Your long tubes will fit fine, they will fit 96-04 with no problem, bolt patterns are the same. I got my low milege engine from ebay. You just have to look around.