PI parts

Skidzz

Tinkerbell
Apr 11, 2005
Salt Lake City, UT
Can someone post a link to one of the websites that has information on how to do the PI swap and what parts I need. I know I need the head swap kit, but there are a bunch of other little parts that I forgot about and the search button keeps giving me an error message. There was one site that told the part #s. Thats the one I need.

• Sponsors (?)

the easiest way to get those parts is to simply call Randy on Mod Depot...you won't need a list he's already got it i'm sure....Next headswap i do i'm calling him instead of piecing everything together myself. Plus he is most likely cheaper then the rest.

If you are doing the Pi swap you really don't need heads. Just use the NPI heads with the PI cams and PI intake.

I know many people think you need PI heads too, but thats because they followed advice without questioning it. PI heads only give you that 5-10 rwhp because you bump the compression up. The cams and intake is what gives you most of the rwhp.

NPI heads have a better port and a better qunech pad that allows a faster burn. When they are ported they will make more power than the PI heads. Save the $$ on PI heads and keep the NPI and use that saved money for something else that will net more than 5-10 rwhp.

There are NPI cars running mid 12's NA including one of the originators of the PI swap Johnny Langton

I would contact Dan Newman on the TCCOA site. His prices are cheaper than Randy's and he is just as good a guy to deal with as Randy is, if not better.

Now JL was the first to swap just PI cams and just the PI intake. He was not the first to do a PI swap.

b1ackfang said:
If you are doing the Pi swap you really don't need heads. Just use the NPI heads with the PI cams and PI intake.

I know many people think you need PI heads too, but thats because they followed advice without questioning it. PI heads only give you that 5-10 rwhp because you bump the compression up. The cams and intake is what gives you most of the rwhp.

NPI heads have a better port and a better qunech pad that allows a faster burn. When they are ported they will make more power than the PI heads. Save the $$ on PI heads and keep the NPI and use that saved money for something else that will net more than 5-10 rwhp.

There are NPI cars running mid 12's NA including one of the originators of the PI swap Johnny Langton

The intake valves are the same size, however the PI exhaust valves are bigger, in addition to the added compression ratio the PI heads vs. non-ported NPI heads flow much better.

Attachments

• 40228m.gif
    40228m.gif
    48.9 KB · Views: 737
85 Coupe 5.0 said:
The intake valves are the same size, however the PI exhaust valves are bigger, in addition to the added compression ratio the PI heads vs. non-ported NPI heads flow much better.

I hear ya, i'll be doing the PI swap also. Looking at the technical data, it's cheaper to slap on a set of PI's with the slightly bigger exhaust valve and hella better flow numbers than to take off my NPI's, have them ported then put them back on.

heads i think are going to help. i dont see many people here with just the cams and intake with good posted dyno numbers, however i do see guys with full pi swaps that post up their similar numbers to the 99 up cars.

i just may have not seen any of these guys on this site, are there any with just the intake and cams making the numbers?

ADRENLN said:
heads i think are going to help. i dont see many people here with just the cams and intake with good posted dyno numbers, however i do see guys with full pi swaps that post up their similar numbers to the 99 up cars.

i just may have not seen any of these guys on this site, are there any with just the intake and cams making the numbers?

BUMP Are there any around that have done this? i'm interested also.

I know quite of few TBird guys do a complete PI motor swap. That said, the PI cams and PI intake swapped TBirds with stock NPI heads are making the same dyno numbers that the motor swapped guys are.

ADRENLN said:

Hey! I resemble that statement! I have PI cams and PI intake on NPI heads and although I got some power gains I cannot say they were significant-200 RWHP dyno'd! That is about 235 FWHP, but this is w/o a dyno tune. However, the power is smooth and reliable. All I can say is the PI cams prolly work better with the PI heads so use them! I lost about 4 mpg on the highway and low-end torque seems ALMOST the same. Although the SOTP meter can sense more power at 3000+ rpm's, I can't say the marginal gain is worth -4 mpg no matter how nice it sounds when its accelerating. You are better off to use specific cams designed for NPI heads than to use the PI cams, for me this was just a cheap experiment. :shrug:

TGJ said:
I would contact Dan Newman on the TCCOA site. His prices are cheaper than Randy's and he is just as good a guy to deal with as Randy is, if not better.

Now JL was the first to swap just PI cams and just the PI intake. He was not the first to do a PI swap.

:rlaugh: you must be on drugs. 1st off No-one beats my prices. 2nd, have you looked over at his forum? those people go days/weeks wthout getting and answer to thier questions, my customers get answers the same day, if not wth-in minutes of posting. 3rd, you don't get newman but some "side-kick" of his answering his post.

yes, this is "self promotion":nice:

and another thing. I race, does he? no. so I can "talk the talk & walk the walk"

RandyStinchcomb said:
:rlaugh: you must be on drugs. 1st off No-one beats my prices. 2nd, have you looked over at his forum? those people go days/weeks wthout getting and answer to thier questions, my customers get answers the same day, if not wth-in minutes of posting. 3rd, you don't get newman but some "side-kick" of his answering his post.

yes, this is "self promotion":nice:

and another thing. I race, does he? no. so I can "talk the talk & walk the walk"

I am not the one on drugs.

1st)

ANY PRICE COMPARISON I HAVE SEEN BETWEEN YOU AND HIM, DAN HAS ALWAYS BEEN CHEAPER ALWAYS! I have seen many on both TCCOA and MD! I know quite a few people went from buying parts from you because they( Dan and Jason ) are cheaper than you.

They don't spend all day on the forums either!

2nd)

He is not arrogant like yourself. I have tried to do business with you on MD and every time you snubbed me. Dan has always been good to me.

3rd)

Have you ever read Johnny Langon's signature at MD? I wonder who that is aimed at!