Pics of painting progress(DUW)

1slow95

Founding Member
May 16, 2002
ohio
Late last year my dad bought a 94 GT, and he decided that it needed repainted. Since he is the cheapest person I know, he decided we could paint it ourselves, so thats what I've been working on for the last week. Dad did most of the prep work and I sprayed it. I think it turned out allright for my first paint job! :nice:

Here's what it looked like before
100_0264.JPG

All primered and taped off
100_0457.JPG

100_0461.JPG

Mirrors, hood inserts, and underside of hood painted
100_0463.JPG

Engine bay and trunk painted
100_0465.JPG

100_0467.JPG

Stripes laid down on the hood
100_0470.JPG

Painted and cleared :banana:
100_0475.JPG

100_0477.JPG

100_0478.JPG

100_0479.JPG

100_0483.JPG

I'll get some more pics up after we get everything back together, probably this weekend. We used Chrome Yellow for the car, and a mettalic charcoal color for the stripes, rear bumper, and cowl.

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks guys! Like I said, my dad is very cheap so it'll be a while before he gets some rims for it. I've been trying to talk him into buying a set tho. :D

My dad bought all the paint so I don't know a total price, but Im pretty sure its under $500.

It took me around 8-10 hours to primer/paint the car, Im not sure how much prep time dad spent on it, but Im guessing around 20-30 hours total.

black945.0 said:
looks good i would have painted the mustang on the back bumper black to make it stand out a little bit more

We started to, but it was too much work to tape off. I had that painted black and stripes painted along the bottom of the door, but we had to finish painting and ran out of time.

looks great man, can you give me/us a step by step on how you did it? i would really like to look into painting my car myself, but have never done it before, and dont have any tools, whell i do have an aircompressor, thats it. tell me how you did it please! nice job once again

matthiasj said:
why didnt you tape off the fenderwells and brakes??? And it looks like you painted over the rear brake light. :shrug:

Looks great other than that :nice:

We painted the brakes on purpose and the brake light was taped off.

Looking at it tonight I found some runs in the clear, along with a little dirt, so we're gonna wet sand it and do another coat of clear.

GreenMustangGT,
The first thing we did is remove as much as possible. We left a couple peices on because I didn't feel like taking the interior completely apart.

Next, we sanded everything with 220 grit sandpaper until the paint wasn't shiny anymore. Then tape off anything you dont want painted.

Before painting, we went over everything with a scotch brite pad and then wiped it down with a tack rag. We thinned the primer 1:1 with paint thinner and sprayed everything.

We then sanded the primer with used 220 grit sandpaper to smooth it out and repeated the process with the scotch brite pad and the tack rag. We thinned the paint 1:1 with medium reducer and sprayed everything in the order of the pics. I also painted inside the doors before the rest of car.

We laid down the stripes, then taped them off after they dried. I then sprayed two coats of yellow on everything, then two coats of clear. The clear we mixed 1 part catalyst to 4 parts clear.

I think that covers just about everything...

Here's a couple pics of it 95% back together
100_0484.JPG

100_0485.JPG

100_0486.JPG

100_0488.JPG