Piston & Ring Choices

loddyjr

May 31, 2010
Alright, I know this has probably come up in the past and discussed to death but I'm just looking for some insight! Piston choice for a rebuild and need to be compatible with GT-40 heads!

306 Forged Pistons and rings

There are so many manufacturers that its down right confusing SBF, Probe, TFS, FPS flat top dome??? Where to start!

It seems you can get a good set for around $300 or you can spend $799 and there are also the rings to consider! Staying with a stock bottom end polished crank and stock forged tie rods which is the best piston for my application?

302 bored .030 306
GT-40 Aluminum heads
GT-40 Upper and Lower intake
b303 Cam
bbk throttle body
24# injectors
255 Fuel pump
MSD Ignition

:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Wow where is the support boys!! Just looking into buying a good set of piston and rings!! The probe set is the one I have been looking at but looking for more feedback since I'm not going to go with the stroker setup!! Any help is appreciated I don't want to build the wrong engine!!

any forged piston will work fine, dont spend 700 bucks on a piston for that motor. Your not gonna get a magical answer with this question. Everyone has thier brand they like, but everything you mentioned in the first post would work fine. I used speed pro's in my first motor, now i have Arias pistons in my current motor. With that combo you would even be fine with a 15 dollar hyper piston

Look at the kit Summit Racing offers, it will have a Speed-Pro pistons, rings and all the gaskets for a really great price. You can get hyper and forged.

A flat top piston will put you in the 9.5:1-10.5:1 range depending on the cc of the head (58cc head with a 4-5cc flat top will yeld about 10.5:1)

I use a lot of the Probes, nice pistons for the price I also really like the Mahle's. If you look at the Probes you coul use the entry FPS piston for your application, no need for the SRS series.

Use a decent plasma moly ring set and file them to the proper gap for your application, just think about the future N2O, etc before you commit to a ring gap.