Polished vs Chrome

ForceFed70

That's why they call it "dope"
Founding Member
Dec 6, 1999
BC Canada
In regards to wheels.

Which is better? Which looks better?

I understand that chrome will probably hold up better. But once scratched/damaged they are hard to repair, whereas with polished aluminum they can always be re-polished.

Chrome also tends to be more expensive.

Can you clearcoat a polished rim for more durability?

• Sponsors (?)

it will come down to what YOU want. I have always said that chrome will shine better than polished aluminum. I am sure others will debate that. Polished aluminum wheels can be clearcoated, but the clear coat will dull the shine. Chrome is relatively easy to repair if you get some kind of scratch in it. There are actually do-it-yourself repair kits that are sold.

If you get a scratch in the polished aluminum...yeah, it can be polishe out (depending on how deep the scratch is).

Chrome and polished aluminum will both begin to oxidize over the years. Just make sure you take care of them and you wont have many problems.

Its all a matter of preference

The chrome are more expensive but shinier. The only thing about the polised is that you'll have to rub them out every so often to keep the shine. After watching by brother re-polish his rims every other week with the Mother's, I spent for the chrome. I'm not disappointed.

70_Nitrous_Eater said:
Can you clearcoat a polished rim for more durability?

I highly recommend having them clear powder coated.
When I bought my TTIIs I polished them and had them clear powder coated. I have never polished them, and merely wash them with regular car wash soap and terry sponge as I do the rest of the car. My car was washed in April just before my hydraulic line failed and was not washed again until around Thanksgiving. No cleaning was done to the car or the wheels in that time. The first pic was taken after washing them around Thanksgiving then driving 30 miles. The second pic was taken when I first purchased the wheels and put them on the car. There are about 4 years and 15k miles difference between the 2 pics.

wheel.JPG

shoes.JPG

The first pic is a little hard to tell detail, so if you want me to snap another pic to help you make a decision let me know. I can take 1 without the flash as well. Let me know

I have also heard brake dust destroys the chrome finish by pitting it. Then you get the small rust spots and flaking. Plus from a racers perspective, the chrome will kill your performance. More rotating weight equals less the the rear. I will never run chrome for that one reason, no matter how good they look.

HistoricMustang said:
Chrome is going to be a problem when "fido" decides to unload on that beautiful finish. The finish looks cool but simply will not stand the test of time from the pet looking for a place to relieve him/herself.

Historic, what in gods name are you talking about? This at least the second thread I have seen where you post about dogs peeing on chrome rims. In the unlikely event that a Chevy driver, dog, drunk sorority girl or whatever chooses to relieve themselves, even on a regular basis, on your wheels. polished/painted/powder coated/chrome plated whatever isn't going to make much difference. However, of the above choices chrome plating is one of the most durable and easy to care for.

68, you got it in your name........rust!

It is just a matter of time before the chrome will be eaten and then bare metal. Even with polished aluminum the protective finish will eventually go and it will show signs of aluminum oxidation which is nothing more than aluminum rust. It just does not look as bad as the rust on steel.

Have you got it now? Because the little critters are real sneaky. They usually do their thing when you are not around.

HistoricMustang
www.historicmustang.com

HistoricMustang said:
OK "rust", you forced me to bring in some tech. Anodized aluminum - a.k.a. "Hard Coat" - (polished alloy) vs. chrome plated steel. Which is more durable...........you be the judge!

That is a nice little picture you have found. However anodized aluminum ( the blue bubbly line) and polished aluminum (the grey triangular line, aka bare aluminum that has been polished) are too completely different things. More importantly abrasion resistance, which is what I think your chart is showing, has nothing to do with fending of the chemical composition of urine. Unless your dog/chevy driver eats alot of sand. Do you have any more tech? :D