Polished vs Chrome

• Sponsors (?)

HistoricMustang said:
I will just refer everyone to your signature and let them figure out the rest! See ya!

:notnice: Oh come on Historic that is the easy way out. I was hoping for more out of you.

Sheesh I didn't intend any hard feelings. I am genuinely interested in what it is that you sold, "this stuff" isn't a product that I am aware of. I work in the plating industry and we test for corrosion resistance on a daily basis. Am I wrong in reading that your chart was in reference to abrasion cycles? More specifically the amount of wear seen in different materials after x number of cycles? If it is what does this have to do with corrosion resistance, or dog urine? Besides that your chart showed that "Hard Coat" aka type III anodizing was the most abrasion resistant which is probably true. But nobody is going to mistake a "hard coat" anodized wheel for chrome or polished.

70_Nitrous_Eater said:
Hold on here.

I thought that these wheels were chrome plated aluminum vs polished aluminum. Why are we talking about rust?

For the TTs just go with polishing them and then having them clear powder coated. I swear you won't regret it
:nice:

70_Nitrous_Eater said:
Hold on here.

I thought that these wheels were chrome plated aluminum vs polished aluminum. Why are we talking about rust?

Nitrous Eater. The aluminum will not rust unless you consider oxidation a form of rust which most people do (as they should). Chrome wont rust if it is taken care of. While chrome is great for looks, it is also used as a protectant. It protects the aluminum or steel. Aluminum has to be coated by with another coating...usually phosphate before it can be chromed. The phosphate coating also protects the chrome.

Chrome will not weaken the steel. At least...in all the metallurgy classes I have taken, that issue never arose. Chrome is simply a plating technique.