Possible Transmission Swap

I have a 97 Cobra. The transmission has just started slipping. There's a centerforce clutch, 4:10 gears and a steeda Tri ax shifter hooked up to it. I am taking it to a transmission shop today to see what the problem might be. If the transmission needs rebuilt, I plan on putting a new 6 speed in instead of rebuilding the T-45. Does anyone have any idea as to what will be involved on a 5 speed to 6 speed swap? Computer changes or anything. I already have a diablo chip in so, if a program needs to be done to it to make it work, no problem. Also, any ideas on where to get a new tranny for a decent price? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

As far as the question of slippage goes, the clutch is out all the way, the car is accelerating, but not as fast as the RPM's are. The RPMs are much higher than the actual speed of the car is. I guess it's slippage, but I wouldn't know what else to call it. Thanks a lot for the information!

OHEY Fasterisbetter, i hate reading in here sometimes because I get so aggrivated. I have a centerforce dual friction in my 99 cobra with a rebuilt 3 times over t45 that may be chewed up from the dam clutch , the clutch has only 3k miles on and it already sux. when i was looking for clutches like 6 months ago, it seemed everyone said it was the best, damit but of course now i hear the complete opposite. i totally know what u mean by slippage and the speed is not up the rpms. same problem here! i started a thread called "losing power", that was my take on transmission slippage i guess. well anyway keep me updated because my car seems to be doing ok for now, i readjusted the cable. im soon to get 410 gears as well.

Will do Chucky. I am replacing the stupid adjustable clutch cable first. The transmission shop suggested the cheapest things to do first. He said the clutch still seems strong and I just might not be getting the right throw with the cable I have in now. The car goes in the shop this week. Should be able to let you know anything new by the first of next week.

I find it interesting that we both have centerforce clutches and are having similar problems. for me, that is when i already have the clutch all the way out and begin to accelerate hard in 1st gear, the rpms are much higher than my speed, kinda hard to describe but you said it just right. I m wandering if maybe it is the clutch we have is actually slipping because my t45 is brand new, granted it is my 3rd one in less than a year...I dont even race my car. The clutch itself may be the problem and may be destroying transmissions as well. From what I have heard from many performance shops is that clutches like centerforce and spec are very hard on trannys because they work like an on/off switch. I have spent way too much money on my drivetrain already, so ill just wait and see how you make out ahha, maybe you will have better luck on fixing it. I could try and get a stock cobra clutch assembly put in for like $800 but I chose to get some 410 gears instead because this drivetrain problem for me at least, seems to be permanent. good luck and tell me what you hear. thanks :nice: