Potential Mustang GT Purchase

Vinny Prunotto

Feb 8, 2012
How's it going Stangnet members? I've yet to make a post here, but I've been following the forums for about a good month now. I've been pondering the purchase of a SN95 body style Stang for a bit now. I've always wanted a Mustang, since my cousin had a 90 5.0 when I was 10. I've been through a fair share of cars over the last several years, and I've always had an itch for speed.

I'm having a major debacle right now. I've found two SN95 GTs in my area, and I can't decide between the two. They are both fairly stock and both are five speed. I'll give you guys the specs on both. Give me your opinion on which is the better buy and why.

2003 White Mustang GT ($9,000)
62,xxx miles
Tan leather interior
Hard top
Body is in pretty good condition w/ a few small paint chips here and there from daily use. Dealership is within 10 miles of my home.

2001 Yellow Mustang GT ($9,345)
40,xxx miles
Black/Grey cloth interior
Hard top
Cobra wheels
Haven't seen the vehicle in person yet as it is 2 hrs away from me. I'd assume similar condition given the pictures.

I got to drive the 03 today, and it drove quite well. I had two concerns for the sales rep while there. I noticed the traction control button was lit the entire time and the ABS light on the gauge cluster was lit too. I informed him, those two concerned me, and I wouldn't fathom buying the vehicle until I knew everything was fully operational. This will be my daily driver. It needs to be flawless in operation and be safe as well. I'll be walking away from an 08 Dodge Ram 1500 in near perfect condition for the GT.

Let me know what you guys think. Reply with any questions you may have about either too. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Both sound good on paper. Have the dealer fix those issues and it shouldn't be a problem. The 4.6 engine and transmission both auto and 5spd are very stout if you take care of them. 9K at a dealer seems like a good price. Most dealers here in NY are still trying to get 14k for these cars and I just laugh at them.

Thanks for the quick reply. Yeah, the both seem fair. If you book them out on KBB, they are valued at higher than what the dealer is asking for. The miles on both cars are below average for the year they both are.

I would go for the 03. 2 yrs newer model and halfway through the 01 production they switched out some things so no worried about the 03. Plus that it's closer helps a lot too. 20k in milage terms isn't all that much difference and to me it doesn't offset the 2 yr difference in the 2.

I would go for the 03. 2 yrs newer model and halfway through the 01 production they switched out some things so no worried about the 03. Plus that it's closer helps a lot too. 20k in milage terms isn't all that much difference and to me it doesn't offset the 2 yr difference in the 2.

Thank you for the solid input. I've been leaning toward the 03 myself.

Id go for the 2003 assuming they take care of the issues... How come you want to get rid of your 08 Ram? Not liking the gas mileage?:D
My bro has an 03 Hemi single cab and gets 13mpg everywhere in the city so I know that is a big turn off...:ack:

Id go for the 2003 assuming they take care of the issues... How come you want to get rid of your 08 Ram? Not liking the gas mileage?:D
My bro has an 03 Hemi single cab and gets 13mpg everywhere in the city so I know that is a big turn off...:ack:

Well, I want to get rid of it for a few reasons. 1. Is definitely the gas mileage, and the cost to fill the tank being 80 bucks. That's not fun. 2. I don't tow anything or haul anything. 3. I work in a shopping plaza that is crowded. If I go to run an errand or grab lunch, I have to perform a three point turn just to fit in a spot. There's some other factors, but these are the major ones.

As for an update with my search, I believe the 03 GT got sold while I was looking at all my options. A nearby dealer just got an 03 Mach 1 traded in with similar miles. I went to take a look at it, but since they just got it in, they had to clean the car up before I could check it out. They were sending it out for the front and rear bumper to be repainted. They were both sun beat pretty bad.

The car also had aftermarket bullit wheels on it from the looks of it. Owner had done catless pipes from headers out. While the car was being sent out for paint, they were going to put stock cats back on. I told the guy to keep the aftermarket pipes, as I'd probably buy some anyway. He'd be saving me the money. He said in order to comply with FL state law, they had to remove them. :( I should be able to check the Mach 1 out Wednesday or Thursday hopefully. I'll report back.

Well, I want to get rid of it for a few reasons. 1. Is definitely the gas mileage, and the cost to fill the tank being 80 bucks. That's not fun. 2. I don't tow anything or haul anything. 3. I work in a shopping plaza that is crowded. If I go to run an errand or grab lunch, I have to perform a three point turn just to fit in a spot. There's some other factors, but these are the major ones.

As for an update with my search, I believe the 03 GT got sold while I was looking at all my options. A nearby dealer just got an 03 Mach 1 traded in with similar miles. I went to take a look at it, but since they just got it in, they had to clean the car up before I could check it out. They were sending it out for the front and rear bumper to be repainted. They were both sun beat pretty bad.

The car also had aftermarket bullit wheels on it from the looks of it. Owner had done catless pipes from headers out. While the car was being sent out for paint, they were going to put stock cats back on. I told the guy to keep the aftermarket pipes, as I'd probably buy some anyway. He'd be saving me the money. He said in order to comply with FL state law, they had to remove them. :( I should be able to check the Mach 1 out Wednesday or Thursday hopefully. I'll report back.

Def jump on that Mach 1 if it is clean.

Def jump on that Mach 1 if it is clean.

Yeah. As long as the paint comes out well, it should be good to go. Hoping I get a call tomorrow to come check it out all finished. It's hard enough to come by good SN95 Stangs, but it seems even harder to find a nice Mach 1. So, I'm really looking forward to working numbers on the Mach 1 and hopefully taking it home. I'll keep you updated.

Yeah. I still need to test drive the Mach 1 and make sure everything is good to go. I've already told them I wouldn't consider buying it if all my demands for the condition of the car weren't met. So, hopefully I get a call back tomorrow or Thursday to give it a test. I'm excited at the possibility of getting the car. I'll let ya know what happens.

carfax looks good to me, just check it out good and make sure everything works. I would def get on it when you test drive it. Listen for any odd sounds, and get it hot. I test drove a bullitt with 58,000 on it and once it got hot it started to knock. also hit some twisties and test the suspension.