Votes: 7 46.7%
  • No

Votes: 8 53.3%

• Total voters

olred

I loves a lovin' cousin
Oct 21, 2010
South Carolina
I'm considering getting my wheels powder coated black. I hate chrome on my car, it looks weird. I'm getting flat black boss stripes (without "boss" obviously) put on my car, and I think the powder coated wheels would look cool with it. A lot of people say I should do it, then it seems like an equal amount of people say don't. I really like the look of the black wheels, but I don't want to be the only person who likes my car... Powder coating all four wheels only costs $180. Should I do it or not?

orange_BlackWheels.jpg

View attachment 197654

• Sponsors (?)

i can speak with full experience here -

if you decide to get them powdercoated, BE SURE that the person/company doing this KNOWS how to do wheels properly and guarantees their work. wheels have holes, curves and crevices making it challenging to end up with a smooth even finish. masking and prep work prior to powdercoating is CRUCIAL. once that stuff is on there, it is HARD to remove.

not trying to discourage you but i am currently right in the middle of have a set of very expensive wheels powdercoated and he is currently working on one wheels for the 5th time now. hopefully he will get it right.

Thanks yall! I'm gonna get it done. I've found a really reputable place but I'm going to talk about a guarantee and such. Red, that's the plan for the stripes. Just didn't go into all that detail with the photoshop and such.

i can speak with full experience here -

if you decide to get them powdercoated, BE SURE that the person/company doing this KNOWS how to do wheels properly and guarantees their work. wheels have holes, curves and crevices making it challenging to end up with a smooth even finish. masking and prep work prior to powdercoating is CRUCIAL. once that stuff is on there, it is HARD to remove.

not trying to discourage you but i am currently right in the middle of have a set of very expensive wheels powdercoated and he is currently working on one wheels for the 5th time now. hopefully he will get it right.

Also, be sure the guy has some sort of metallurgical background as well and isn't just a guy with an oven.

Depending on the aluminum alloy, and the temps used by the powdercoater, the heating process can weaken the wheel.

Most cast wheels are 356-t6, and 10 mins or so at 375 degrees can possibly overage the wheel and weaken it and reduce it's lifespan.

Whether or not the reduction in strength is still safe is another story. :shrug:

Okay here is my take ... I really like the wheels on your car the way it is. I really think your car looks a lot better than you think it does or something ... The only issue to me is that it seems to have a 4x4 ride height in the front, but maybe that is just an optical illusion due to the picture angle ...

However, if you are hellbent on going with the orange/black theme, just don't do the stripes coming down the sides. It is just way too much and (IMHO) not a good look -- the spoiler and center-hood portion I am okay with if you must do the change.

I might just save my money from the stripes/wheels and get the car repainted. No point in putting stripes on a car that needs a paint job.

Don't put stripes on your car..I love the color, don't ruin it with stripes. A good respray would be money well spent instead of stripes.

Chrome isn't a bad combo, i think its the wheels. I don't think those style wheels blend well with SN95 or New Edge....or should i just say I hate FR's or anything near that design (I know..i know..I'm probably the only dude in the world that says that) Of course this is my little opinion :D.

Respray the car, buy some go fast goods and call it a day. :nice:

just make it fast. I'd rather have a fast car that looks like poop than a nice looking car that gets pooped on...

I like the darker wheels though. but only if the lips stay polished. :nice: BTW I love the orange. stay with it.