Power Window Stuck in Down position

jims2321

Founding Member
Dec 12, 2001
Oviedo, FL
Okay, I am at my wits end. I have spend the last 45 minutes reading threads about the how to fix the power window on my '94 stang, but not how to get the electric motor out, when the window is stuck in the down position. If anybody has a suggestion on how to handle this scenerio I would greatly appreciate it.

Jim

• Sponsors (?)

probably impossible with the window down.....its been a few years since i changed one....maybe you could unblot the "arms" from the glass and pull it up manually out of the way....:shrug:

are the bushings shot? you should be able to take the door panel off then reconnect the switch and assist the window up. just watch where you grab with your hands so you don't pinch anything. what you can also do is try and loosen up the bolts on the motor and wiggle it around. i've had it happen where it almost seemed like a dead spot in a starter but as soon as i wiggled it, it worked.

You could also bang on the inner door panel (in the area where the motor is). If it's a brush issue, that might free it up. Otherwise I'd do as Ryan noted and try to pull window up while someone pushes the up button.

Does it make noise (or load your electrical system up) when you try to energize it, or is it like you're not even pushing the switch?

I have tried to pull the window up while my assistant press the up button. I switch the leads to the passenger window side to check the switch, and it worked fine. The motor is definitely not making any noise, so either the stupid plastic bearings are shot, or the motor has gone bad.

So I have two options.

1. Try to get the motor to pivot away from the window gear strip so I can manually raise the window, then finish removing the windows motor or ....

2. Visit my local mustang mechanic that will do the job for about $160 including a new motor.

Decisions, Decisions.

Jim

Just to be super sure, I might just apply fused battery power (and ground) to the motor to see if it will move.

Did rapping on the area where the motor mounts help at all? One could try to get a screwdriver through an access hole and against the motor and try to give it a few taps.

Sorry about the long time between replies.

Okay first I got the old windows motor out, after further research, once the motor was out, the window was easy to raise up. Next I replace the motor with a rebuild one, and ..... nothing. It would not raise or lower the window. So I grab my volt meter, and start checking voltages. First between the power and the switch, that checks good. Next I checked between the switch and the power motor connect and its dead. Damn stupid broken wires. Well 5 minutes later and I splice a new piece of wire, and the window is working.

Thanks for all the advice.

Jim