problems after HB replacement

dutch5.0

Feb 6, 2009
Netherlands
I had the HB replaced last week by a shop. It's a new FRPP piece from summit..

Right after that, it started squeeking against the bottom waterpump bolt when the engine was cold.. So I filed a little bit of the edge of the belt to cure that..

Ran fine, drove home 60 miles without problems..

This morning, I start it and somethings starts rattling.. so I open the hood and it appeared to come from the ps-pump, but it stopped after a few revs..

So I closed to hood and drove out of my street, not 1/2 a mile later, it shredds 2 ribs of my 2month old belt.. and starts to crawl off the alternator pulley..

what the hell is going on? :shrug: I'm getting really sick of this.:notnice:

• Sponsors (?)

I just came back from a local Ford dealer, where I could use the lift for an hour.. took the pulley off and checked the HB.

From what I could SEE, it's not far enough on the crank. There's a difference in the waterpump/crankpulley allignment of about 3-4 millimeter, and there's a considerable amount of shiney metal visible on the crank.

I can FEEL the washer on the end of the bolt, but I can rotate and wiggle it with my finger, there's NO pressure whatsoever on the washer, is this normal?

But here comes the biggest screamer, I tried to get the bolt out of there to put it back like it's supposed to.. it comes off a few twists and then it's stuck again... So I couldn't get the bolt out, or put the HB further on.. I'm stuck here. I torqued it back down with 90lbs, but it wouldnt go on any further...

Posted via Mobile Device
sounds like the bolts been cross threaded into the crank shaft.
take it back to the shop that put it on,tell them it shreaded the belt,and they need to check it out.
dont mention you tried to fix it your self.
it sounds like they did not torque it to spec.
they should repair all the damage and eat their labor costs caused by their shoddy work.
that may include a new crank.
good luck,and let us know how it turns out.

Posted via Mobile Device
take it back to the shop that put it on,tell them it shreaded the belt,and they need to check it out.
they should repair all the damage and eat their labor costs caused by their shoddy work.

With ya on this man.... exactly what you need to do....

Posted via Mobile Device

+2

Don't even tell them what you found. Let them diagnose it and tell you what they think happened. If they lie and tell you something else is wrong, THEN tell them what you found. Of course, never tell them you tried to back the bolt out.

Sounds to me that the shop tried to pull the HB on with just the bolt, and the crank rotated before the HB was flush. Shoddy work, definitely; they should have used a HB installation tool.