problems starting new motor

robbo1987*2.3*

Founding Member
Apr 22, 2002
varina, va
well i got the motor in and everything hooked up. i tried to start it and it cranked and sputtered a lil bit so im assuming the timing is off. then the batt went dead so i hooked up the charger and let it charge for about an hour and came back to try and start it. well i didnt unhook the charger and when my dad cranked it i saw the needle on the charger shoot up into the red and i heard the thing humming so i told him to kill it and the thing was still tryin to crank with the key off so i took off the hot wire from the batt. when i touched the wire to the battery the motor would crank and this is all with the key off. well my dad messed with sumthin and it stopped doin it. and now when i turn the key its like im tryin to start it with out pushin the clutch in. i put a new starter and selinoid(sp) and it still does it can anyone give me any ideas on what to do pleeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaassssssssse! im tierd of being :owned: by thios motor and swap lol thanks

• Sponsors (?)

ok

if the covers are the same, timing is on, i think its getting gas(i smell it when im cranking the motor) i swapped the injector harness from my n/a motor to the turbo motor because the turbo harness wouldnt plug up( dont know if that has anything to do with it not starting) but i pulled out #1 plug and got my buddy to crank it and i would have thought that gas or sumthin would come out but it didnt but i could smell gas, and its getting spark. if anyone can take the time to reply i would appreciate it.

ok

got bored waiting for some one to reply and went to crank the motor then pulled all of the plugs and #4 is the only one that i smell gas on so wtf i dont understand and i really need some help so someone pleaaaaasssssssee reply thanks

Swapping injector harnesses is fine. It is impossible that #4 is the only one getting fuel...the injectors are batch fired (all at once) and the computer drives them in sets of two (meaning they all work, two work, or none work).

Since it sputters but won't start I bet your base timing is off.

Stinger

thanks guys

my pops looked at it and the timing belt was on but the distributor was off by bout half an inch so he adjusted it and we got the wires straight and she came to life for about 15 secs just sputterin like it was runnin on two or three cylinders but she was runnin on her own now i have to figure out the vaccume hoses thanks for the help yall it felt good to hear it run for that lil bit i now know there is hope

stil not workin

i put new plugs and wires on it and double checked everything the timing is on (if the n/a timing cover is the same as the turbo one). the wires and cap are good and i lined everything up and she only kicks and sputters like she wants to start im stumped any ideas? thanks

ok

ight well maybe im missin sumthin . here is what i did, i put the notch on the crank pulley on th "td" mark when i did that the cam pulley was on the middle mark so i said ok the timing is right there. then i took the cap off and got as close to #1 as i could and then hooked up my spark plug wires. then i tried to crank it and it sputtered, so i loosened the distributor so that i could rotate it and try and get it closeer to #1 and the best i can do is to get it runnin rough as hell and it takes alot of messin with it to get it to do that. diod i miss a step or do sumthin wrong. timing is my worst thing so any help or ideas would help alot thanks

did that already

my pops turned it while i was crankin it and the best we could get was when it was runnin rough as hell. triple checked all the wires is there anything that i could have missed while i was swappin the motors that would make it not work? i did notice that the injestor harness has an extra wire commin off of it that attached to the upper intake but i cant find a way to get a wrench or ratchet in there to loosen the bolt to attach it so its just chillen would that have anything to do with it? maybe ita a ground or sumthin i dunno just tryin to throw up some ideas

ok

its runnin but i think i have a vacuum problem lol any body got a diagram for the hoses and where they go? i looked aty a merkur and it doesnt have the same lookin stuff. where does the coolant temp sensor hook up at on the turbo motir?

The sensor for the gauge is in the block underneath the oil distribution block
where your oil feed for the turbo is. The other sensor should be in the lower
intake between cylinder runner 2 and 3.