proper way to get a/c working?

94GTMOOSE

Jun 27, 2005
jersey shore
about 2 1/2 years ago i was driving and my a/c compressor (or just the clutch) seized up and i snapped a belt. So i went to the junk yard and bought a used replacement and put it on replaced the belt and started driving the car again. I never replaced the freon, or put a vac on it to pressureize the system.

Now that i am so fat that even with the windows down and the sunroof open i still sweat like a hooker in confession, i am going to try to get the system running. I did do a few searches and answered alot of my questions. I do however still wanna put down my plan of action and see what you think.

i plan on going to harbor freight and buying this tool Air Vacuum Pump with R134A and R12 Connectors

Seems like a good deal for 9.99.

Then i planned on buying two or three cans of r34a.

now my question is this do i need to buy anthing else. and is there a special method to getting this to go smoothly.

• Sponsors (?)

I would go with the Robinaire pump. Or just have a shop vac it down for you.

We don't know what state the system is in now or why you need to recharge it, so it's tough to make recommendations.

the system was working fine till the clutch locked up. so i replaced the compressor with the clutch on it from a junk yard. it was just easier to do it that way. so all the freon leaked out. i think it should be fine if i vac it with that tool and charge it up.

Do what you want to do but you asked about doing it right. You need to see about 29.5" in order to boil moisture out of the system. Let us know if your manifold gauge shows that much vacuum. If not, have a shop vacuum it for you. It should cost you very little. See about having them let it hold the vac for 30-45 mins to ensure the system is sealed.