Push button starter. Anyone seen the StarDrive?

• Sponsors (?)

StarDrive - Push Button Ignition System

That's pretty cool. It's the first system i've seen which actually eliminates the need for the key. All the others i've seen still require you to put the key in, turn it, and then press the button...which seems pointless to me

I have the same setup OEM on my G35. So nice to never have to take the keys out of my pocket to open the doors, trunk or start the car. Definitely spoils you

Starter buttons used to be common practice. It's amusing that they have come back as an exotic feature.

They have been around for a while, but not with RFID technology. Most of the old school starter buttons still required you to put the key in the ignition first.

This requires no key...just a transmitter in your pocket. Walk up to car, doors unlock automatically. Get in and push button. Push again to stop engine, get out and walk away and doors lock.

I'm talking pre-WWII. No key required then, either. Of course, locking the doors wasn't required, either. :)

Lol, you got me there :)

Sounds like fun, but could be just one more thing to go wrong, too.

One thing i don't see is a way to operate the car if the battery in the transponder dies. The unit takes the place of the ignition, so unsure where you'd put a backup key.

With the OEM, the remote has a emergency key that will allow you to unlock the door and place somewhere to get the car to start. Most even have an indicator in the dash to let you know when the battery in the remote is almost dead

One thing i don't see is a way to operate the car if the battery in the transponder dies. The unit takes the place of the ignition, so unsure where you'd put a backup key.

With the OEM, the remote has a emergency key that will allow you to unlock the door and place somewhere to get the car to start. Most even have an indicator in the dash to let you know when the battery in the remote is almost dead

that is exactly something I was thinking about. I will shoot Sven an email and ask what Plan B is if the ignition fails.

I'm sorry, but I don't see the point of this. It seems like its making things overly complicated.

it is first and foremost, a security system. I have to have an alarm on my car for my insurance. In addition to having the ignition disabled such that the car cannot be started without the RFID transponder, the system also has an alarm on it. I also think that the idea of the pushbutton is cool.