Putting the pony away for winter

DaGonz

Jul 27, 2006
Marlborough, MA
So far, we have had a very mild late autumn/early winter here in Southern New England. I haven't "offiically" taken my 2006 Mustang GT off the road yet for winter, but will do so when the snow starts falling.

So far, I have detailed it, changed the oil ( Mobil 1 synthetic 5W20), filled the fuel tank and added Sta-Bil to the fuel tank.

I have some sections of carpet remanants that I will be putting under the tires. I plan pull it out of the garage at least once every two weeks, weather permitting and let it run to operating temperature to keep the battery fully charged.

Is there any other things I should be doing?

• Sponsors (?)

So far, we have had a very mild late autumn/early winter here in Southern New England. I haven't "offiically" taken my 2006 Mustang GT off the road yet for winter, but will do so when the snow starts falling.

So far, I have detailed it, changed the oil ( Mobil 1 synthetic 5W20), filled the fuel tank and added Sta-Bil to the fuel tank.

I have some sections of carpet remanants that I will be putting under the tires. I plan pull it out of the garage at least once every two weeks, weather permitting and let it run to operating temperature to keep the battery fully charged.

Is there any other things I should be doing?

I live in MI and put mine away two weeks ago (which i regret because it has not snowed since then and i hate my rice burner 4Runner, plus in MI you just don't buy foreign cars...my neighbor openly told me he wants to beat my a__, and he likes me). I did the same as you (no need for oil change on mine, just did it). i bought an exhaust hose so i can start and run her every few weeks but i trickle charge the battery once a month on anything in storage. With Stabil all you really need to do is trickle the battery but i am going to start her now and then to circulate the fuel. I also keep her in a 63 degree heated storage so the interior does not degrade (i learned storing my boat that if you do not put something with leather in heated storage and leave it to the temperature your leather loses its quality faster). Does anyone out there suggest anything further? Thanks.

I put mine in hibernation until March 07. Car is outside with two covers on it as well as covers on each wheel that I purchased on E bay. Gastank is full with stabil added also. I have one of those battery minders from Harbor Freight on it also. Last year I did the same thing and car started right up after months of bad weather. Very well pleased.

If you're going to be parking it over concrete, put a layer of plastic underneith the car. This will keep the moisture from coming up and making the bottom of the car rust. Just make sure the plastic isn't touching the exhaust pipe if you're going to be starting it periodically.:D