quad shocks

beyondspexj

Oct 30, 2009
Las Vegas
hey fellas! 2 questions about the quad shocks since mine are missing and the car wheel hops worse then a lowrider in a dr. dre video (thanks OP :notnice: )

1. What are the measurements and size of the hardware to install the quad shocks?

2. Where can they be purchased from? I remember a thread saying possibly Autozone but what are they labeled as?

Thanks in advance! :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

faststang90: yea i had a feeling i was going to have better luck grabbing the hardware from a shell in the junk yard. maybe ill just do that then get new hardware after matching them up. Thanks!

mustang5l5: thats what it was! thank you as well!

faststang90: yea i had a feeling i was going to have better luck grabbing the hardware from a shell in the junk yard. maybe ill just do that then get new hardware after matching them up. Thanks!

mustang5l5: thats what it was! thank you as well!

They have them at advanced and autozone as well as on summit, if the axle damper (the shock) only needs a bolt and a nut, you could get them from home depot. If you need the bracket with the stud on it and the bracket on the axle with the nut connected to it, you're probably heading to the junk yard or possibly getting it from someone here.

do you ever plan on installing rear upper and lower arms on it? If you do you dont need the quads. I have those brackets,and i just threw away my quads themselfs cause there useless with rear arms. peace

john:p

do you ever plan on installing rear upper and lower arms on it? If you do you dont need the quads. I have those brackets,and i just threw away my quads themselfs cause there useless with rear arms. peace

Wrong answer...

Put the quad shocks back on if you took them off or don’t have them installed.

The quad shocks are a roll of the dice. No matter what the combination of tires, control arms and shocks, some cars will wheel hop without quad shocks and some won't. There are so many variables in 28-13 year old cars with wear, misalignment and combinations of suspension components and tires that one unchanging answer won't work for everyone.

I personally would install them, and make sure they are in good shape. I do know this, that Ford is cheap. If they could have made changes in some simple component like bushings or control arm construction and saved $20, they would have done it. Multiply $20 times all the Fox body Mustangs ever made and you would be almost as rich as Donald Trump. That's a lot of $$$, and good incentive to engineer something to do away with the quad shocks.

They have them at advanced and autozone as well as on summit, if the axle damper (the shock) only needs a bolt and a nut, you could get them from home depot. If you need the bracket with the stud on it and the bracket on the axle with the nut connected to it, you're probably heading to the junk yard or possibly getting it from someone here.

I did a 2 second check just to see if they were installed ( before making this thread ) and i believe the brackets are still there. tomorrow i will pop the tires off and get a good look under there as i need to recheck my drive shaft bolts anyway. ( they were finger tight when i bought the car, talk about a half ass PO.. )

if im missing any part of the brackets ill just add it to my list of things to grab from the "yard" tomorrow. thanks for the reminder on the brackets!

John, from what ive seen and read on here, many removed the quads to make room for bigger tires on 9 or 10 inch wheels. did you go to wider tires/wheels also when doing the arms?

Wrong answer...

Put the quad shocks back on if you took them off or don’t have them installed.

The quad shocks are a roll of the dice. No matter what the combination of tires, control arms and shocks, some cars will wheel hop without quad shocks and some won't. There are so many variables in 28-13 year old cars with wear, misalignment and combinations of suspension components and tires that one unchanging answer won't work for everyone.

I personally would install them, and make sure they are in good shape. I do know this, that Ford is cheap. If they could have made changes in some simple component like bushings or control arm construction and saved $20, they would have done it. Multiply $20 times all the Fox body Mustangs ever made and you would be almost as rich as Donald Trump. That's a lot of $$$, and good incentive to engineer something to do away with the quad shocks.

cant tell you how many times ive read your response in other threads lol, majority of the reason im replacing them since the OP took them off.

I have $500 Max Motorsports lowers and $200 Steeda Uppers....and I still went out and spent $100 on new Ford quad shocks.

They work...use them.

They are on the list after i locate all the correct hardware and double check the presence of the brackets.

again thank you all! nice to see many helping hands! :nice:

i was able to get to the junk yard and found a 90 hatch that had both quads on it still ( what a search that was, guess everyone takes em out...) only bad thing is i didnt check my setup first and have to go back later this week to get the passenger upper bracket that has the stud attached to it.

Well i can tell you this. my 95 with rear arms didnt have them, my 93 coupe with rear arms didnt have them, my 89 i now have i removed them also with rear arms,although i dont know if it will hop cause i havent done any burn outs yet. My buddies 89 dosent have them my buddies 83 dosent have them my other buddies 88 dont have them as well as another buddy with a 90 GT! All my cars and expericences and my buddies have no wheel hop what so ever!The ONLY time i ever had wheel hop is when i had my 95 GT and got pissed and burned them off in reverse. Maybe me and all my buddies have lucked out? IDK i'm just going off my expecrence and all my buddies. All of us run street tires as well as drag radials or slicks.beyondspexj i only did it cause i did rear arms,my coupe never came with quads.peace

Well i can tell you this. my 95 with rear arms didnt have them, my 93 coupe with rear arms didnt have them, my 89 i now have i removed them also with rear arms,although i dont know if it will hop cause i havent done any burn outs yet. My buddies 89 dosent have them my buddies 83 dosent have them my other buddies 88 dont have them as well as another buddy with a 90 GT! All my cars and expericences and my buddies have no wheel hop what so ever!The ONLY time i ever had wheel hop is when i had my 95 GT and got pissed and burned them off in reverse. Maybe me and all my buddies have lucked out? IDK i'm just going off my expecrence and all my buddies. All of us run street tires as well as drag radials or slicks.beyondspexj i only did it cause i did rear arms,my coupe never came with quads.peace

That's all fine and dandy....but why would you just leave off a piece of your suspension when you don't need to?

Just because you don't notice wheel hop doesn't mean it's not affecting your car at all.