Question about a 96 GT

huckzilla

May 11, 2004
New Oxford, PA
My neighbor just bought his son a used Mustang GT. He was over talking to my wife last night and happened to get on the subject of the new vehicle. According to my neighbor, he is under the impression that this particular car came from the factory with a 428 SVT Cobra engine. The exterior of the car has no special markings other than 'MUSTANG GT' like the rest of them. Now, I've never heard of this and just chalked it up to the guy not knowing what he's talking about (actually, this is what the car salesman told him at the time of purchase). Anyhoo, since I have not had the opportunity to look it over, I'm quite skeptical about this and wanted to run this by you good folks. My thoughts are these:

1. A previous owner swapped the orignal GT engine out for a SVT 4.6 Cobra engine.
2. A previous owner stuck some SVT badges in obvious locations to try and fool the untrained eye.
3. I don't know my Ford engines that well, but isn't the 428 a Windsor engine and could it possibly fit in the 4.6L engine bay?

The car looks and sounds like a normal GT. Even when he was running it back and forth our street, it only impressed me with normal GT performance.

Are any of you aware of a 'Limited Edition' of a small number of GT's that came from the factory like this?

Thanks in advance!

Tom

• Sponsors (?)

Well, like I said, he (my neighbor) conveyed this information to my wife as reported to him by the salesman. Who, by the way, is a friend of his. My guess there is, his friend, the salesman, didn't know any better either, and fed my neighbor the same bull**** story he was told.

It just scares me though if it has the 4.6L Cobra engine in it. His boy just graduated high school, meaning he's 17 or 18. The reason he just got this car is because he totalled his last LX 5.0 a few weeks ago. That was the second time he wrecked it, only this time it was for good. A kid that young and inexperienced at driving, really doesn't need that kind of power. Of course, this is only my opinion, but it sure seems like insurance companies agree with me on that :rlaugh:

a 428 wouldn't fit under the stock hood. It would have to have a cowl induction hood and that would be pretty obvious. Sounds like he got took.......
Option #4. The previous owner just stuck cobra markings on it and the engine is stock. Let us know when you take a look, if you see a little pony on the intake plenum we will all be laughing.

stimmler said:
a 428 wouldn't fit under the stock hood. It would have to have a cowl induction hood and that would be pretty obvious. Sounds like he got took.......
Exactly...it would need a cowl hood to fit. Also the sound of a 428 big block and a 4.6 modular are VERY different sounding. He must not know much about cars. Or was trying to impress your wife! :(