Nov 12, 2001
Winston-Salem, NC
For my next round of mods, I'm thinking of going this route:

4.10 gears
SPEC Stage 1 Clutch (With FORD TOB)
Steeda Triax Shifter
*Aluminum Driveshaft
*Aluminum Flywheel

My question is this: Does the 4.6L SOHC rev noticably faster with the aluminum pieces? I'm trying to stay away from modding the motor directly for reliability issues, but I'm hoping to see some mediocre gains from this setup, if not in the 1/4 mile, at least by the revving time. Will the driveshaft/flywheel modifications drop enough rotating mass from the setup to notice an increase in response (as far as revving is concerned?)

As always, any response/comment/suggestion you can give me is appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

You should notice a slight inprovement in 1/4 mile times,maybe a tenth or 2. You will have to adjust your driving style in town as the heavier steel flywheel helps get the car off the line. You'll probably have to rev the engine a little higher and feed it more gas to get going.

The D/S is going reduce the rotating mass, but you won't feel it or see any gains out of it alone. At least I didn't. It's better and stronger than the factory steel one though that's for sure. Altohugh I noticed Ford ISN'T using DANA u-joints on them anymore :nonono:

The flywheel, again same thing. I'm not sure if you'll feel it or not though, mine still has the stock F/W.