Questions about Summit Racing rebuild kits

anyone here used one of the Summit engine kits? I'm looking at one for the 5.0 roller...and I figured hypertuectic pistons since I'm not using juice or anything...for quicker revves...and was wondering what your thoughts are. It's like 200 more for forged anyways and I don't see it being worth it. Really. What are some thoughts?

• Sponsors (?)

Really, you never know what you'll end up doing a year or two down the road. It's always good to have a solid foundation. That being said, ideally, you would want forged for power adders, however guys do throw forced induction on hypereutectic pistons and have good results. I think really what it comes down to is peace of mind. Is the peace of mind worth $200? That's what you'll have to decide.

saleenx029 said:
Forged is the only option IMO, be smart, you will want more power one day.

Well...I'm doing this on a budget and its gonna be the powerplant to get my stang through my time at the Nascar Tech....I'd figured do that w/ the block .030 over, F303 cam, Thumper heads, upgrade the fuel system a little bit, Weiand Stealth, 625 Road Demon carb, 1.6 roller rockers. If I want more out of it later I'd do a stroker engine so it'd be the same for a few years.

TireSmoknWindsr said:
Well...I'm doing this on a budget and its gonna be the powerplant to get my stang through my time at the Nascar Tech....I'd figured do that w/ the block .030 over, F303 cam, Thumper heads, upgrade the fuel system a little bit, Weiand Stealth, 625 Road Demon carb, 1.6 roller rockers. If I want more out of it later I'd do a stroker engine so it'd be the same for a few years.

If that's the case the Hypers will be fine. I built a motor for a buddy using that kit and was really impressed, nice kit for the cash, the price is hard to beat. It came with Speed Pro pistons, coatred side skirts, etc..

I'd buy new ARP rod bolts $50 and have the installed and resized while the motor is apart, you'll need to have the new pistons pushed/hung on the new pistons anyways.

I like to replace them, but the only bolts you really should change is the rod bolts, head bolts (are torque to yeild and if stock could be re-used) and the mains, anything else you could re-use or replace for a better looking fastener, some of the bolts are cheap to replace.