quick ? Is this the right stuff for my tranny?

• Sponsors (?)

Ford calls for ATF in its T-5's, but like many things, people put other stuff in them as well. The factory calls for ATF, not manual transmission fluid.

In my opinion, I'd stick with what Ford recommended - ATF.

Big Tiger, do you have a BW T5 or A Tremec T5, TKO, etc? The sequence of posts is confusing.

If a stock BW T5, the ATF product looks to be more appropriate. But as was said, guys run about anything in a T5 and swear by it.

Good luck.

HISSIN50 said:
Big Tiger, do you have a BW T5 or A Tremec T5, TKO, etc? The sequence of posts is confusing.

If a stock BW T5, the ATF product looks to be more appropriate. But as was said, guys run about anything in a T5 and swear by it.

Good luck.

uhh I am 95% sure its BW. Well I guess Ill go tell my Amsoil guy that MTF is not the best idea for my Borg Warner T5. I just figured that MTF with additives for manuals would be better than synthetic ATF :(

Thanks guys

big_tiger15 said:
uhh I am 95% sure its BW. Well I guess Ill go tell my Amsoil guy that MTF is not the best idea for my Borg Warner T5. I just figured that MTF with additives for manuals would be better than synthetic ATF :(

Thanks guys
Well, I might just nicely ask your Amsoil guy why recommended that product. If I read their site correctly, they recommend their generic ATF for our T5's (there's an applications page on their site). Your guy might have a very good reason for the recommendation.
You will find that guys have run ATF, synchromesh, 10W-30 and 5W-30 motor oils, etc in their trannies and rave about them all. I run Redline (D4) so I cant comment with firsthand advice about the Amsoil. I will say that I wanted to run a different Redline product than the D4 and Redline tech was pretty adamant about my not doing that (I figure those folks/their technical notes are smarter and better than I am).

Good luck with it (if you're like me, you'll want to nail it down before doing the fluid swap or it will bother you afterwards).