quick ? Is this the right stuff for my tranny?

• Sponsors (?)

You need ATF for your stock ford T-5. Go back to the store and exchange the syncro mesh (GM tranies) for the ATF. They make synthetic ATF so try to get that, because it will probably make your tranny shift smoother.

Ford calls for ATF in its T-5's, but like many things, people put other stuff in them as well. The factory calls for ATF, not manual transmission fluid.

In my opinion, I'd stick with what Ford recommended - ATF.

Big Tiger, do you have a BW T5 or A Tremec T5, TKO, etc? The sequence of posts is confusing.

If a stock BW T5, the ATF product looks to be more appropriate. But as was said, guys run about anything in a T5 and swear by it.

Good luck.

HISSIN50 said:
Big Tiger, do you have a BW T5 or A Tremec T5, TKO, etc? The sequence of posts is confusing.

If a stock BW T5, the ATF product looks to be more appropriate. But as was said, guys run about anything in a T5 and swear by it.

Good luck.

uhh I am 95% sure its BW. Well I guess Ill go tell my Amsoil guy that MTF is not the best idea for my Borg Warner T5. I just figured that MTF with additives for manuals would be better than synthetic ATF :(

Thanks guys

big_tiger15 said:
uhh I am 95% sure its BW. Well I guess Ill go tell my Amsoil guy that MTF is not the best idea for my Borg Warner T5. I just figured that MTF with additives for manuals would be better than synthetic ATF :(

Thanks guys
Well, I might just nicely ask your Amsoil guy why recommended that product. If I read their site correctly, they recommend their generic ATF for our T5's (there's an applications page on their site). Your guy might have a very good reason for the recommendation.
You will find that guys have run ATF, synchromesh, 10W-30 and 5W-30 motor oils, etc in their trannies and rave about them all. I run Redline (D4) so I cant comment with firsthand advice about the Amsoil. I will say that I wanted to run a different Redline product than the D4 and Redline tech was pretty adamant about my not doing that (I figure those folks/their technical notes are smarter and better than I am).

Good luck with it (if you're like me, you'll want to nail it down before doing the fluid swap or it will bother you afterwards).