Quick question for you cobra guys...

• Sponsors (?)

I believe the 94-97 wheels are the same, I would take a guess they are in and around the 25 lb. mark. And yes they are 17x8s. Cobra didn't go to 17x9 till 03. I had a machined 03 cobra wheel weighed before I put them on my 98 and they weighed 25 lbs a piece. So I would say that the 8" wheels should be lighter, but not much.

Later
Jason

Thanks alot :) Just so you guys know there are now alot of 2nd gen (86-91) Rx-7 owners putting late model mustang wheels on our cars. For the most part they are cheap, wide, and fairly light. Heres a pic of someones Rx-7 with 94-98 GT wheels..

members_cars_images.php

This is the reason I was asking, to see if those Cobra wheels were the same size and offset as those GT wheels, which they appear to be. Thanks for the info..

Not to change the subject, but what kind of performance are you guys getting out of those cars? Last fri night a kid thought about racing me at a light, but I guess he only opened it up in first, and gave up. I didn't even get on it until he probably was shifting into second. :shrug:

chrisbudl1 said:
Not to change the subject, but what kind of performance are you guys getting out of those cars? Last fri night a kid thought about racing me at a light, but I guess he only opened it up in first, and gave up. I didn't even get on it until he probably was shifting into second. :shrug:

It really depends alot on the car. A non-turbo model is 148HP for the 86-88, and 160 HP for the 89-91. Pretty aenemic as far as stright line speed goes, but still a "peppy" car. The turbo models are 182HP and 200 respectively. A free flowing intake and exhaust, as well as supporting fuel mods will push a turbo into the 13s without much fuss. I am running an upgraded stock turbo, and will be putting about 300HP to the rear wheels. This is good for a mid-high 12 sec 1/4. If you get a fully upgraded turbo (garret T04 is a common upgrade) 400+ HP is easily attainable. Where these cars shine is the handling department though. If youve never had a chance to drive an Rx-7, you really should. The handling and cornering capabilities of these cars is truely incredible. 50/50 weight distrubution and ~2800lbs (less with some easy weight reductions) makes the cars a blast to drive :)

missouri_guy197 said:
If the GT wheels fit on that car the Cobra wheels will fit no problem...they are the same diameter and width with very similar backspacing...

Thanks for the input. I ended up just buying a set of the GT wheels like shown above. I believe they are a few lbs lighter.