Quick question for you cobra guys...

• Sponsors (?)

I believe the 94-97 wheels are the same, I would take a guess they are in and around the 25 lb. mark. And yes they are 17x8s. Cobra didn't go to 17x9 till 03. I had a machined 03 cobra wheel weighed before I put them on my 98 and they weighed 25 lbs a piece. So I would say that the 8" wheels should be lighter, but not much.

Later
Jason

Thanks alot :) Just so you guys know there are now alot of 2nd gen (86-91) Rx-7 owners putting late model mustang wheels on our cars. For the most part they are cheap, wide, and fairly light. Heres a pic of someones Rx-7 with 94-98 GT wheels..

members_cars_images.php

This is the reason I was asking, to see if those Cobra wheels were the same size and offset as those GT wheels, which they appear to be. Thanks for the info..

chrisbudl1 said:
Not to change the subject, but what kind of performance are you guys getting out of those cars? Last fri night a kid thought about racing me at a light, but I guess he only opened it up in first, and gave up. I didn't even get on it until he probably was shifting into second. :shrug:

It really depends alot on the car. A non-turbo model is 148HP for the 86-88, and 160 HP for the 89-91. Pretty aenemic as far as stright line speed goes, but still a "peppy" car. The turbo models are 182HP and 200 respectively. A free flowing intake and exhaust, as well as supporting fuel mods will push a turbo into the 13s without much fuss. I am running an upgraded stock turbo, and will be putting about 300HP to the rear wheels. This is good for a mid-high 12 sec 1/4. If you get a fully upgraded turbo (garret T04 is a common upgrade) 400+ HP is easily attainable. Where these cars shine is the handling department though. If youve never had a chance to drive an Rx-7, you really should. The handling and cornering capabilities of these cars is truely incredible. 50/50 weight distrubution and ~2800lbs (less with some easy weight reductions) makes the cars a blast to drive :)

missouri_guy197 said:
If the GT wheels fit on that car the Cobra wheels will fit no problem...they are the same diameter and width with very similar backspacing...

Thanks for the input. I ended up just buying a set of the GT wheels like shown above. I believe they are a few lbs lighter.