R-Block?

• Sponsors (?)

Most places sell them, check with people like speed-o-motive, dss, etc. Decent price... good luck. Have you done your homework on the dart versus R 302? I have and I would choose the dart over the r-302, after machining and such they come out very close to the same, but the dart has better coolant properties because of the siamesed bores of the r302. I just saw a used r blcok for ~$1500.

Killercanary is right. Just to add - how much power are you looking for? A sportsman block can be found for half the price and can hold up to 650 HP. Some are running over 800 FWHP with a sportsman. If the car is a street car, I would actually prefer an iron block because of the heating properties between an aluminum and iron block. Just a personal preference though.

Joe

Joe, the r302 is iron, dart makes both an iron and an aluminum block. Don't let your mouth hit your keyboard when you see the prices of it...
http://www.streetrodstuff.com/Products/1834/

Also, from what I've seen on the net, he sportsman block is not what it "cracked" up to be so to speak... there are a lot of guys cracking them, from what I've read on the net ford has actually decreased the HP ratings for it in the motorsport catalogue. I can't confirm this, but I rea about it a lot. Do a search on the power adder forums, and turbomustangs.com and you'll see what I've been reading.

Here's the link to the iron dart block. Read the reviews, there is a lot of extra work that goes into both of these blocks (the r requires more machining from what I've read), just make sure you are aware of it before you buy one. This is one of the main reasons I scrapped the idea of putting a turbo on ym '95 and why I plan to leave the longblock stock in my '90 when I turbo it.

http://www.streetrodstuff.com/Products/1247/

Are you serious? The aluminum version is twice the price of the iron version? I guess I won't be getting aluminum. BTW, they say it can be bored to 4.185" with a .250" wall thickness; how does this compare to the stock block? What is the stock bore? Can the stock block be bored?

Jon

Killercanary said:
Joe, the r302 is iron, dart makes both an iron and an aluminum block. Don't let your mouth hit your keyboard when you see the prices of it...
http://www.streetrodstuff.com/Products/1834/

Also, from what I've seen on the net, he sportsman block is not what it "cracked" up to be so to speak... there are a lot of guys cracking them, from what I've read on the net ford has actually decreased the HP ratings for it in the motorsport catalogue. I can't confirm this, but I rea about it a lot. Do a search on the power adder forums, and turbomustangs.com and you'll see what I've been reading.
I guess I learn something new everyday. I was always under the impression that the R was an aluminum block which was targeted at Dart's aluminum version for competition. I have also read about those blocks cracking before the claimed horsepower, but I've also seen crazy horsepower levels being run with the Sportsman. Over on Hardcore, Mark O'Neal posted a few days ago that CHP (his company) makes 351 sportsman blocks turn 700 FWHP all the time, and the only people that break them were the ones who didn't get the car tuned. I guess when your dealing with that block, it is all in the tune of the motor.

Joe

Yes, a bad tune/detonation can put a hurt on a lot of things...

I've heard conflicting reports on what a 351W block is good for, some say 500, 600, 700+ but I've never heard anything real specific.