Radio ? 95 Cobra

I have a 95 Cobra with the Mach radio system the factory radio has been replaced. My problem is poor reception and road noise. I thought it was the radio at first but I have replaced the radio again and I still have the same prob, any ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

Road noise? Do you mean static in the speakers? Does the static go up and down with engine RPM's? There's a radio capacitor attached to the coil bracket that may be loose or have gone bad.

Poor reception may just be a bad connection to the antenna. Trace the antenna plug from the radio to the right under the glove box. You may find it's come unplugged.

Question on the mach system, I have it too. Does it have a factory amp for it? Need to know so I can buy the correct wire harness. There's a $20 difference in the two and I don't want to waste money.

Yes, there is a factory amp. You want the Metra 70-5514 harness, it is an exact match for the Mach 460. I have it on my Mach 460 in both my GT and Cobra clone.

I have a 95 Cobra with the Mach radio system the factory radio has been replaced. My problem is poor reception and road noise. I thought it was the radio at first but I have replaced the radio again and I still have the same prob, any ideas?

Has the under hood blanket been removed? It is needed to shield interference. It has a foil backing and is grounded by the passenger side hinge. When I first removed mine no one could figure out why there was radio static. My problem was that I didn't use the AM band for a long time after removing the blanket so the connection to what the cause was wasn't obvious.