Radio Change- Back To Close To A Factory 1990 Convertible

Arnold Zwiffle

Dec 30, 2013
Recently I purchased a 1990 7-UP convertible ( my first pony 88,000 miles, auto, new interior, great top, shift kit) and this car came with a after market radio. Now over the years I have developed a hatred for after market radios, being a simple person I just want to turn the radio on and hear music and see the time after that, not much more. Factory radios work just fine for me, the only thing extra I may want is a CD player or a thumb drive reader so I can play great car cruising songs ( of course Green Onions will be the lead off song of that set).

Measuring the present area for a radio I have the dimension of 6x9 inches, ( and that is also the same size as my friends 2002-5? Mustang standard radio.)

So my question is what later model factory radios will mount into the available area? Any with CD or a thumb drive?

I did find a site on the internet that sells adaptor wires sets will I need one with the radio you might suggest ?

• Sponsors (?)

Thank you for the information. I checked my car and I do not have any door speakers, so I have a NON- Premeuim. That is ok for me and should simply what I want to do.
The wiring colors is of great help. I think I take a day off work in the spring and go to a junk yard with the car and radio removed and see what I an get into the car. I have some friends with older Fords I might be able to get a radio out also, Taurus and Explorer , both with CD player.
Now if I read this right, the CD player uses different wires to the speakers (by way of a diffeant plug)?
Any other short cuts,
Will I have to take out the counsel over to mount the radio? I see from one photo you did not have to do that

Thank you for the information. I checked my car and I do not have any door speakers, so I have a NON- Premeuim. That is ok for me and should simply what I want to do.
The wiring colors is of great help. I think I take a day off work in the spring and go to a junk yard with the car and radio removed and see what I an get into the car. I have some friends with older Fords I might be able to get a radio out also, Taurus and Explorer , both with CD player.
Now if I read this right, the CD player uses different wires to the speakers (by way of a diffeant plug)?
Any other short cuts,
Will I have to take out the counsel over to mount the radio? I see from one photo you did not have to do that

For the sake of clarity, which route are you choosing to go?

Install a 1993 CD player? Or something else

I doubt I be able to find a 1993 CD radio and player with out spending a lot and since my car does not have the original tranny or rear end , so has a driver value only ( shift kit and 3.73 or 4.10 gears and not 3.27 per data plate- goes like a bat out of hell), So I will be looking at Ford Factory radio. I prefer the simplicity of use of factory over the after market. And like the better radio over better CD.
If a later model Factory Ford with a thumb drive will fit in, I really like to go that route. And also a clock that show with out pressing 10 different buttons is important. I never carry a watch or cell phone ( cell phone as reception where I live sucks at best for every cell phone )
If all else fails I even try and mount a Saturn am/fm radio into the car -( please don't call out a hit squad on me for considering that and running a great car LOL ) as that all I really want. But would prefer a Ford radio where the electronics plug in and look some what decent.
With the info you have provided so far I think I can do that if needed. I wired in some car radios before, but simple installs and a long time ago.. 1970's and 80s, but no boosters, EQ or amps. Just radio and speakers.
Thank you for your help so far

I don't see how you will have an easier time mounting a saturn radio than an aftermarket one...

If I were you I would probably just try and find a contour cd player (they are pretty common in the yards) and find a way to fab up the cubby mount. Of course, with you having a 90 you have to follow the instructions listed by Mustang5L5 to get it all to work.

Mounting the radio will be your biggest issue. You don't need to remove the console, but if custom mounting a radio, you may find its necessary in order to access the transmission support bracket.

The OEM radio mount uses a T shaped rail about 6" long that is part of the dash assembly. The rail is located above the radio location and is welded in. The radio has a plastic slotted clip on the rear of the radio that engages the rail to vertically position the radio. The 2 holes on each side of the OEM radio are to stick a release tool or 2 nails into the holes. Push the tools or nails outward towards the car doors.This releases the spring clips on that side and allows you to slide the radio out. To successfully remove the OEM radio, you need 2 release tools or 4 nails.

I have an older Blaupunkt London MP37 which has all the features you are asking for. It also has the ability to change the background color of the LCD display to the green color of the factory radio's numbers. It is very nice, and doesn't distract from the OEM look. The only complaint I have is that it seems to occasionally skip when using CD's that were burned on a home computer.
h023LONDON-f_dgp.jpg

Crutchfield.com has an excellent selection of radios and wiring harness adapters for aftermarket radios. They really know their stuff and have the right parts. None of the dumb answers that you would get from someplace like Best Buy or other electronics chain stores.

For a nice selection of 4 speaker aftermarket radios with CD player specific for fox body mustangs, see http://www.crutchfield.com/g_300/Al...awkw=+aftermarket++auto++radios&awmt=b&awnw=g

Last edited: