Ran into a 331 stroker today

• Sponsors (?)

Theres a guy on here (ninjacoupe) making just under 400rwhp with his 347 witha small afr 185 head. Its VERY easy to make over 400hp on a 302 stroker if you know what your doing. AFR 205 heads or the FTI stroker series 185's, ported TW's, ed c cam and an rpm2 intake (or similar) and your over 400 easily. Lots of guys call BS because they have a 331 or 347 with JUNK parts that is slow, so of course no one else can make better #'s :rolleyes: Those same people wonder why their E cammed 347 won't even run 12's :rolleyes: Do your HW, making good power (over 400rw within streetable rpm's) with a 302 stroker is EASY, but is pricey..

Grn92LX said:
Theres a guy on here (ninjacoupe) making just under 400rwhp with his 347 witha small afr 185 head. Its VERY easy to make over 400hp on a 302 stroker if you know what your doing. AFR 205 heads or the FTI stroker series 185's, ported TW's, ed c cam and an rpm2 intake (or similar) and your over 400 easily. Lots of guys call BS because they have a 331 or 347 with JUNK parts that is slow, so of course no one else can make better #'s :rolleyes: Those same people wonder why their E cammed 347 won't even run 12's :rolleyes: Do your HW, making good power (over 400rw within streetable rpm's) with a 302 stroker is EASY, but is pricey..

When i was NA i had a holley intake (which will out flow an RPM and close to an RPM2), A set of majorily ported TFS Track heat heads, and a Cam Direct from ed... I put down a whopping (sarcasm) 342 rwhp at 5700 rpms... Unless he is winding some serious rpms there is no freakin way...

EASY MY ASS!!! (not litterally speaking, lol)
When you build one of these EASY setups then tell us about it, otherwise your giving out bad info... :notnice:

Now on the other hand AFM has their prodject 347. It pushes 8000 rpms and made high 400's... It runs low 10's and is "Said" to be streetable... w/ a set of 4.30's i believe... IT probably has more testing and dyno time on it then all the cars on here combined...
Im not saying that powering isn't possible out of a 331 but you probably won't see one on the street...

moneypit94 said:
Im talking about having to have a certian amount of vacuum... And then the computer being picky...

Shouldn't be any different than a 87-93 as far as vacuum and the computer can be tuned just like an A9L can. Having a 94-95 shouldn't be excused as a handicap.

Jake

vacuum... as in manual breaks if you don't have enough!!! Not really a problem with the 87-93... Also a our stock computer doesn't like anything drastic... Its hard enough to get the idle right on our cars the way it is..

AND NOT TO MENTION THE TB SETUP WHICH YOU SHOULD KNOW ALL ABOUT!!!

Jake, i personally, put that into account for your success on the dyno...

Green, normally I agree with you, but not on this one. I was SERIOUSLY concidering doing a 347 buildup for my car, and I spoke to Ed on many occasions about. When I mentioned 400rwhp, he said it could be done... but not "easily."

Moneypit- I never understood why your car didn't make more than it did... on paper it looked like you had the right parts, but it didn't make it in the real world for some reason. :confused: Keep in mind that with the added cubes, the cams become less "wild" so to speak as cubes "eat up" duration and such. Everytime that piston goes down and the intake valve opens, you are pulling in more air... even at idle, so this will help mask some of the idle issues and such that the same cam would yield on a 302 motor.

Ok, since you guys disagree with me when I say its easy, check this guy ninjacoupes sig out http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=388096&highlight=dyno

He's making 390rwhp peaking @ 5700rpm. Thats with a small afr 185 head too. Now, add an afr 205 and a different cam and thats EASILY 420+ and CAN be done with-in the stock 6250 limiter.

young347, I wouldnt do a 331, I would do a 347. Theres 15-20hp in inches alone you're leaving behind. Your 347 did 375 by a "blessing miricle" LOLOLOL, well, what do you expect with small parts? You used an off the shelf comp 274 cam. 375hp is good for what you used. My friends in the process of doing a 331, he'll be using FTI prepped 185 stroker heads. He'll be doing 400+hp easily :)

Moneypit, did you give Ed flow #'s of those"majorily ported" TW heads?? Sounds like you didn't. That sucks that YOUR 347 made not so good power, but that doesnt mean others cant make good power. Like I said, 400rwhp is easy to do with the RIGHT parts and the money to spend on the right parts. Theres a guy on corral making 340 to the tire n/a on his high m ileage 302 shortblock within 6200rpm, something was WAYYYY off with your 347. I've proved my point, disagree to your hearts content :)

mike

Grn I check around and everyone with a 347 with a hyd. cam NOT a roller cam, can surpass 400. Alot were in my range 375hp-380hp. If you find someone thats using a hyd. cam custom or not doesnt matter and can hit well over 400rwhp then I will NEVER argue with you.:D

Grn: to be tech. he has 386 rwhp and he has some of the best stuff on there including exhaust, And also i have a 331 not a 347. Another thing.. There is also one more advantage that he has over the rest of us.. and that is the fox tb setup, which recenltly has shown out-does our tb setup by a nice chunk...

Also If its so "easy"... show us some people that have made that kinda power in their street car with a hyd. cam... Because if it was EASY everybody would be doing it... Bigger doesn't aways mean more power either, especially when your limited on rpms... If you are restricted to 6250 rpms AFR 205's will probably hurt more then help on a 347... And i think i hurt myself by having the heads ported as much as i did..

There was a comment about nascar guys running major power... Yeah they are starting to run over 10,000 RPMS too... And if you payed attention they took away Ryan Newman's SMALLER carberator this year.. (he hasn't done as well with a BIGGER carb.)

ok I was just reading this, and I am in ahhhh how some of you guys are not making more power. inlcuding twstd50 who is only making 307 hp.

Guys please list all your Motor combos. I am intresting to see what you guys are running. I want everything compresion,exact size of the kit,cam,and so on.

I am building a 331 right now and plan on getting that 400 make to the wheels with out reving to the moon. This is the parts I am using

D.S.S level 20 block
Scat 4340 Crankshaft "standard style,3.250 stroke/1.680pin
Scat H-Beam Rod 5.400 rod length/.912 wrist pin
SRP Forged Piston flat top/.912 pin dia
11 to 1 compression.
Wrist Pins
ARP Rod Bolts.
Crankshaft was externaly balanced.
Clevite race bearings. rod, and main bearings.
Speed pro Piston rings.
AFR 185 Stroker Series heads.
Edelbrock RPM II intake. will be ported more.
75 t.b.
80mm mass air from a lightning
42 lb injsectors
mac long tube 1 5/8 because that is what I have right now,might change to 1 3/4 header.
Ed curtis spec cam.
and a custom tune.

All that should get me were I want to be.

on my combo im running fairly low compression... aprox 9.5:1 (little too high for my blower and too little for NA :notnice: )

Stage II ported Track heat heads, systemax intake, and a cam with a little over .54 lift from ed... I have the mac 1 5/8 headers (almost too small now).

Whats going to hurt you and hurt me is the heavy rotating assymbly... That was one of the keys to AFM's success with Prodject Hi Rev 347. They had a VERY light rotating assymbly...

Your higher compression will deffenitaly help though.

Isn't that level 20 block from DSS is just stock with extra machine work? There is an article about it in MM&FF. And it just says they get the cores them from a reputable place... So im assuming their stock... but they are rated at 675 hp..

Depending on how many rpms your winding you may not need such a big tb and injectors..

Jay, definatly do 42lb injectors like Ed said. If I were you, i'd do a 75mm Race TB which is 90mm at the opening and 75mm at the blade. Ed recommended a 75mm for my stock shortblock 302, a bigger TB WILL NOT HURT YOU! Bigger inches need more air. You'll have to make your own intake piping, but thats no biggie, just go to home depot or somewhere. I do think you need an 1 3/4" longtube. Your on your way to 400rwhp :D

Don't worry Mike, I have been gathering parts, and doing my homework for the past year. Hope to have this new motor in by spring of next year. 400 to the wheels means, I got to build a motor for 500 hp. That is what i am trying to do. :D

Here's my combo:

331 w/all forged internals
xe274hr
TFS track heat intake
off the self TW heads
Bassani o/r x
spintech prostreets
pullys
4.10s
3000 PI converter
BBK headers
1.6 rr
Aluminum Drive Shaft
24lbs squirters
190lph fuel pump
fpr
70 mm tb
75 mm pro m
all a/c deleted
C&L True Flow inlet pipe

It doesn't put up the best dyno numbers but I'm able to surprise a lot of people at the track... being that it's a heavy vert on 18'' radials.

twstd50 said:
Here's my combo:

331 w/all forged internals
xe274hr
TFS track heat intake
off the self TW heads
Bassani o/r x
spintech prostreets
pullys
4.10s
3000 PI converter
BBK headers
1.6 rr
Aluminum Drive Shaft
24lbs squirters
190lph fuel pump
fpr
70 mm tb
75 mm pro m
all a/c deleted
C&L True Flow inlet pipe

It doesn't put up the best dyno numbers but I'm able to surprise a lot of people at the track... being that it's a heavy vert on 18'' radials.
whats the dyno numbers? we have almost the exact same combo.