rattle noise..what is it?

I've had similar rattling noises in my center console pop up now and then. It ended up being the ac vent/center console itself. There are always new buzzing noises and rattles from these mustangs, that you will NEVER fix them all. I took my center console apart, got some double sided foam tape, and taped the SH^T out of every plastic piece that touched. It solved my rattling for about a week and then I had another rattling / buzzing noise pop up in the rear of the car from the backseat area. Point being, as long as you check the major mechanical things mentioned previously (heat shield, cats, tranny, etc) and you know you are putting good gas in, there's not much more you can do.

• Sponsors (?)

If it is detonation I don't wanna blow the motor:shrug:

If it were detonation would it sound like it were coming from the center console/dash area? If it were detonation would it go away at higher RPMs when there is more load on the motor? Doesn't do it a bit if I romp on it.

I have the same problem. I don't think its pinging or detenation. It was happening before I put the supercharger on and now it still does. It's a rattle in low rpms. In the upper rpms can't hear a thing. And I can hear it more on rougher roads. I think it might be that shield your talking about.

It definetly could be pinging. Try a tank of 94 octane fuel and see if it goes away. It could also be the a/c compressor. The sound can transfer through the a/c lines into the dash area. try turning the mode control to the center off position and see if it goes away. On my car, i thought I had valves ticking on cold start up. Turned out it was the blower motor. At low blower speed, it makes a ticking noise that matches the engine rpm perfectly at cold start, then goes away after about 30 seconds. LOL.

Hardly ever have the air on.

I had a guy from a local weekly meet (around 50 stangs) ride with me and he said he is sure it isn't pinging but didn't know what it was. :shrug: Definetly sounds as if it is coming from the shifter area. POSSIBLY behind the radio, but I think from the shifter area. I have an MGW coming in and I am going to change the tranny fluid when I put that in.

I think whoever had the car before put and aftermarket handle on the stock shifter. Maybe they hurt a syncro or something? Would that make a noise? I get a grind going to 2nd maybe once a month. :shrug:

SVTECH HELP! lol

Would just like your input on the whole thing.

Honestly it sounds like a buzzing/rattle sound. Hard to pinpoint where it comes from. Sounds like maybe right behind the radio or ac vents. But could be coming from shifter assembly too. Hard to tell. I wish I could find it. Or somebody local could ride in it and see what they think. Most of the NW forums are Oregan though and I live in Everett (Close to Seattle). I will post over there though and see if anyone is close to check it out..

EDIT; I PMed Tylerb50 about it. He only lives like 15 minutes from me so hopefully he can take a look/listen and figure it out. Plus his Cobra is :drool:

Before you go totally crazy, pop up the plastic filler between the hood and the windshield on the passenger side. Slide a putty knive under the rubber seal and the pop clips release easily. Coat the pop clips with a little white lithium grease and re-snap them in place. I had this same noise and finally figured out how to get rid of it. Now if anyone has a cure for the rattle in the passenger rear seat back, I'm all ears!!!