Rear brake line mod again

Opentracker

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Feb 4, 2004
I found that on a Versilles disc brake rear end there are three flex lines and they cost a lot. I also found that Mustangs Plus had adapted a 70's Mustang front brake line to the Versilles caliper, much cheaper. They ran it down the rear end to a third line going to the chassis. I thought if they can use a front brake line on the rear end, why not just run it up to the chassis. Eliminate one flex line. I ordered the front brake lines from MP and tried it. Well it worked so good on our orange car I decided to do it to our '66 coup. It has rear drums so I put a front wheel cyl. in the rear and use a front line. I got the extra volume from the front wheel cyl.'s I wanted and the line fit perfect. This car will have my Watts Linkage, a rear sway bar, rear brake coolers and full tail pipes. I can use the room.

The line from the wheel cyl. to the frame.

Wheel cyl. mock up

Frame mount and line going into the car.

Lines going up to the MC

What do you think?

John

• Sponsors (?)

Nice work as usual I think. I'm doing the Ultrastang rear disc conversion that uses the Lincoln Mark VIII rear discs, but I've already gotten the single rear flex line. If I'd thought ahead, I think I'd gone the same route you've chose.

Looks good to me and simplified it......makes it easy to understand, I like the braided lines but have trouble finding kits for the 85's. I would make my own but I figure the ends are not so simple to attach on the braided lines. Did you do this? or were the lines pre made? Is it easy to have braided lines made? as opposed to a kit? I took the time to read your thread, please take the time to answer my questions if you can.

just in case anyone who has a versailles rear wants to know, you can use the rear brake lines from a 70's f-150 instead of the versailles soft lines, they are a little bit longer but also about 1/3rd the price or less. john, nice work as always

Looks good to me and simplified it......makes it easy to understand, I like the braided lines but have trouble finding kits for the 85's. I would make my own but I figure the ends are not so simple to attach on the braided lines. Did you do this? or were the lines pre made? Is it easy to have braided lines made? as opposed to a kit? I took the time to read your thread, please take the time to answer my questions if you can.

The lines I use are from a '70ish Mustang, Jim at MP can tell you what year. All I had to do to fit them to the car with the Versilles rear was drill out the block for the banjo bolt. I did not have to make up the lines. I have never had braded lines made so I don't know what it cost. I found a bolt on solution to the Versilles way overpriced replacement lines. If I was working on a later car, I would take the rear line into a shop like Mustangs Plus and go through all the braided lines they had to see if one would work.

John