Rear Disc Conversion (What Master Cylinder?)

• Sponsors (?)

Jimmsy66 pics

Jimmys66 mustang with the 94 cobra MC.
The angle doesn't look to bad, any thoughts? Thanks for sending the pics Jimmy, nice car too :nice:

94CobraMC2.JPG

94CobraMC3.JPG

94CobraMC4.JPG

94CobraMC1.JPG

You cannot buy the SN-95 V6 master cylinder reservoirs new from Ford, but if you were to take a V6 MC reservoir from a wrecking yard donor, then you could put it on the '93-'95 Cobra MC and have a reservoir that mounts horizontally to the MC. This would disburse the fluid evenly within the reservoir.

Whoa... I missed this. So you could take the "level" reservoir from the SN-95 V6 MC and replace the "angled" reservoir on the Cobra MC?
Now that sounds like an idea to me. I need the 15/16" bore but still not sure about the Cobra MC's tilt.

I guess the reservoirs just pop out of the bottom part?

Thanks for the compliment. I should have cleaned a little. I didn't think the camera would show that much dirt.:D

I didn't think about that either. Just switch the res. from one to the other. I really like the 15/16 bore. Just the right pressure and pedal travel.:nice:

Thanks or posting the pics.

Ford Racing also offers a 1" dual master cylinder, that looks like the old style. The original application was an early 80's Crown Victoria or something. It is (or was) included in one of the Ford Racing brake kits for Fox body Mustang

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=7113

The SVO master cylinder is has a too large bore for many applications. SVO Mustangs came with big 73 mm / 2.87" calipers, hence the large 1 1/8" MC.

You need to look at the surface area of both the MC and the calipers when deciding on a MC for your disc brakes. Here's how different MC's and their surface area relate:

15/16" bore: 0.69 sq in
1" bore: 0.78 sq in
1 1/16" bore: 0.89 sq in
1 1/8" bore: 0.99 sq in

As you can see, the 1 1/8" MC is 44% larger than the 15/16" MC

Here's how different (front) calipers and their surface area relate:

stock 65-67 four piston (1 5/8"): 4.15 sq in
stock 68-73 single piston (2.38"): 4.44 sq in
Granada single piston (2.60"): 5.3 sq in
Mustang SVO single piston (73 mm/2.87"): 6.46 sq in
Cobra dual piston (40 mm): 3.89 sq in
Mustang GT 99+ dual piston (45 mm/1.77"): 4.92 sq in

There is of course more to a braking system than an MC and a pair of calipers, but it is important to keep the above surface area relations in consideration when putting together a braking system. Just because it physically fits, doesn't make it the right choice. If you neglect this, you end up with brakes that probably work, but not as good as they could.