rear ended someone today

I was driving to work today and I reared ended a car but the strange part was that I was two cars behind I hit my brakes and the car didnt stop I have a 95 cobra by the way it didnt skid or anything it felt like my brakes failed or the abs was counter braking since I ended up hitting the car.Thank God the driver didnt get hurt I smashed both head lights and messed up my bumper but the other car I just cracked the rear bumper it was a 2006 honda accord .Im suprised thats all the damage I did to it and relived too since it could of been worse.So I need to check what went wrong with my brakes any input would be great thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Sorry to hear about the wreck, but like you said.......it's better that everyone's not hurt. In real hard braking, I've felt my ABS come on which is kind of freaky. Our ABS isn't as good as the current ABS used, but it is better than none at all.

Here's some stuff that can make your stang brake worse than normal:

Old brake fluid
Brake pads that are too worn
Low tire tread
Alignment (especially if it's way off)
Old brake lines (especially if the brakes have been abused)
Tire pressure (if it's way off, it can take longer to stop)
Bad/leaking shocks/struts (can increase stopping distance)
Road conditions
Stock brakes that have never been touched! :)

I'm sure there are other contributing factors, but few things beat replacing your brake fluid every 12 months, making sure tire tread isn't too low, proper tire pressure, and regular brake inspection).

I really like my brake setup, but even so, I'm going to have the master cylinder replaced and maybe the brake booster, cause they are 13 years old now and the parts aren't that expensive.

you were suppose to destroy the honda and not hurt your car:D

Hey sheet happens. as long as nobody but the honda gets hurt.:nice:

how fast were you traveling?

1)check brake fluid.

2)with the engine off pump the brake pedal does it get very firm?

3)run abs codes theres a terminal beside the battery for it.

4)turn car on and press brakes and look for leaking fluid under car.

do your emergency brake work, i now there wasnt much time but.....

SORRY TO HERE ABOUT IT

You didnt by chance have your front wheels turned during your braking/attempted braking, did you?

I'm sorry to hear about this. Best of luck getting your car fixored up. :nice:

thanks for the replies.I hit him on the freeway on a slight left turn .That could of been a factor since I felt the car keep going straight it wasnt a direct rear hit just enough to mess up my both headlights even though the wheel was turning left .The brakes are two years old I hardly drive the car it has cross drilled and slotted rotors on all four wheels and the brake fluid is about three years old.I almost forgot it did something similiar about a month ago but I was alone with no traffic and I flew past a stop sign even though i hit my brakes and I wasnt even going fast I was going speed limit for a change:D the thing I suspect is the abs system since I had the light come on and off a while back but never turned on today when I hit the brakes hard .I need to look into that before I drive it again.:nonono:

Join the club. I just rear ended an SUV and totalled my car. I have drilled and slotted too and stock new calipers. My brakes lock up and it goes straight when I steer left or right. So that is what happened. I had time to brake and still slid into the back of him. My ABS doesn't seem to even work.

a light comes on for abs?

Yep. It should prove-out when you first turn the key on (and the other idiot lights come on). If yours doesnt prove out, you might need to replace the bulb (and if you replace one, replace them all).

Thanks for the steering shaft tip - I ordered one last night. :D

Good luck.

Heres the update the total damage I did to the car is a totally shattered header panel ,this what holds the headlights and top of the bumper to the car ,headlights which I have a another set lying around already, scraped up bumper just needs to be repainted and two front tires they developed flat spots from when the tires locked up.All of this I'm doing myself the other car is going to be repaired with the other car owner's insurance .My insurance will just pay for the damages they'll take care of the rest.I realized I skided for 30 feet this morning when I saw my tire marks and the other thing was the rear tires dont have the flat spots that the front tires have which is leading me to believe that the front wheels locked and the rears didnt which means the front abs failed .I will research what went wrong and give you guys an update.

i reended a girl this summer with my 94 ...we were at a stop sign she looked both ways started moving i started to look both ways let off the gas and then i look at her and she slammed the brakes and decided she didn't want to attemp it so i slam the brake and hit her at like 5mph.... i was pissed no damage at all but she was rolling really good then she decides to stop what the hell

i reended a girl this summer with my 94 ...we were at a stop sign she looked both ways started moving i started to look both ways let off the gas and then i look at her and she slammed the brakes and decided she didn't want to attemp it so i slam the brake and hit her at like 5mph.... i was pissed no damage at all but she was rolling really good then she decides to stop what the hell

damn automatics :lol: