Rebuild, what cam?

d.r.moss

May 4, 2009
Rochester, MI
I am rebuilding my 5.0, here is what I am doing, any help or opinion on a cam would be nice, I am on a budget unfortunatly.
-Lower end - stock, new rings and bearings.
-Heads - GT40P, ported and valve job myself. E7 springs. Hoping they fit my headman headers?
-Explorer intake
-Pro-M 80mm mass air with 30lb injectors.
-Paxton SN89 supercharger with original pulley, 5-6lbs. What size pulley for 10-12lbs?
-Was going to go with an F303 cam, I would check clearance but what do you guys think? I hear it is a nice blower cam, how does it sound, never heard one in person. I already have everything but the cam. My car is a 5 speed with 3.55 gears but I have 3.73 I was planning to put in.
I'm not going to crazy but I was blowing oil and found the rings were not aligned right, while I'm in there I am going to install the parts I have. Any idea about the horsepower or ETs? thanks for the help.

• Sponsors (?)

Both those cams sound great, how are they for performance. I will be putting a supercharger back on mine.
So will the springs break or just not allow enough lift?
Which springs do you recommend?
Any place that sells a set for a good price?
How much am I looking at?
If I can find some used springs, would they be good enough?
Do I need anything else or just a set of springs?
I should be ok with clearance then? Looking through other posts, it seems like the f-cam was about as high of lift as possible without cutting the piston.

The problem with used cams are sometimes the ware marks are different. As long as you used the same lifters, pushrods, etc.. that were with the cam I would not see a problem. But with other parts the groves may cause you problems.

I could see wear being an issue with a solid lifter set up, but it would be fine on a roller set up would it not?

I mean unless there was obvious damage to the lobes the cam should be fine. I am by no means an expert so perhaps I have no clue what I am talking about.

I could see wear being an issue with a solid lifter set up, but it would be fine on a roller set up would it not?

Roller lifter cams can generally be reused. A flat tappet cam, whether solid or hydraulic, should never be switched between engines and only reused in the original engine it was installed in if the original lifters are used in the same positions they were installed in.