Remanufactured Short Block?

custom89stang

Dec 9, 2003
Seattle, WA
I was wondering where i could find a stock remanufactured engine (short block, duh)? All the remanufactured ones i see are long blocks. What is the difference? I want the short block so i can just drop it right in. Thx for your help.

• Sponsors (?)

short block = motor and rotating assembly
Long block = complete shortblock with heads (sometimes accesseries such as valve covers/pan/etc.

How much are you wanting to spend? I suggest going ahead and looking a DSS 306

gopher_6_9 said:
short block = motor and rotating assembly
Long block = complete shortblock with heads (sometimes accesseries such as valve covers/pan/etc.

How much are you wanting to spend? I suggest going ahead and looking a DSS 306

so short and long block are the same thing except with those differences?

a short block u can't just drop right in, depending on which one you buy some builders sell a short block with either a new, or seasoned block, which includes new freeze plugs, and cam bearings, new pistons, rings, crank, and rods, (a few offer a cam and timing chain in with the deal but not many) and the kit is usually balanced and blueprinted.

Long block is the same as above except it comes with cam, timing chain, heads, rockers, pushrods, oil pump, oil pan.

Usually have to add timing cover, water pump, distributor, intake, etc to drop that in

Go to a Ford or Lincoln/Mercury dealer and they will order you a "Reman" motor for about $1500.. Same price for a good DSS shortblock. I can get a "Reman" from my girlfriends dealership for $1200 her cost including core... NOT WORTH THE RISK!! Get DSS,CHP,or CCM. These shortblocks are pro built with strict tolerences and forged pistons. Most remanufactured shortblocks are Explorer/Mountaineer models with hyper pistons and truck cams. Not ideal for Mustang use....

Kelly

Dallasmustang sells rebuilt 302s with forged or hyper... pistons with a cam for around 1600...but I would go DSS racing if your going to spend that much...

David

Here's a question to add to this topic that i've never looked into: Those DSS 306s, do they differ so much from a stock style 302 that you couldnt just take everything off of your stock motor and bolt'em to the new block? Heads and everything included? I supposed it would depend on what style heads you order with the block, right? I know stock heads wouldnt show the true potential of a new motor, but if you're in need of a new motor because your bone stock one died, it would be cost effective to be able to stick with stock heads and everything else if you were on a budget. I had thought about doing this with my tax return but i'm getting a new trany instead, but i'd still like to know if any of you have the 306 and have done this, or know if it's possible.

5spd GT said:
Yeah you can bolt everything to it just like a stock block...

David

So if i bought a remanufactured long block, i could take everything from my current 5.0 engine (1989) that isnt on the new block, intake,timing stuff, etc. and bolt it straight on. I have a ring problem in my current engine, so i wanted to get brand new internals with the engine. Dont wanna rebuild. Thanks for the help.

custom89stang said:
So if i bought a remanufactured long block, i could take everything from my current 5.0 engine (1989) that isnt on the new block, intake,timing stuff, etc. and bolt it straight on. I have a ring problem in my current engine, so i wanted to get brand new internals with the engine. Dont wanna rebuild. Thanks for the help.

Yes...I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't but I see where your coming from....just want to make sure you spend your money right and do it right...someone else will chime in and prove it maybe...

David

Internal engine balance means that all the counterweights are located on the crank inside the engine case. An externally balanced engine uses additional weights located on the harmonic balancer and/or on the flexplate or flywheel to make the engine balance. These external weights are on the ends of the crank and tend to cause additional crank flex at higher RPM's. Internal balancing is recommended on higher RPM applications but is not required for most street applications.

pre 82 stangs came with a 28oz external balance, while later 5.0s came with 50oz external balance