Results Of The Compression Test.....help And Thoughts

from6to8

There's suction so I used that end O_O
15 Year Member
Sep 2, 2012
After fixing my blown intake gasket the car sounds and runs better, but I still noticed a little something missing so today I wanted to do a compression test. Got a loaner tool from Auto Zone, screw in type. I did not screw it all the way down as it was a PITA to even get in, and also get the extension coupler thing with the hose to screw on easily but I put about 3-4 turns on each one before putting the guage on and pulled on it and everything felt snug. I just changed plugs about 3 wks ago, 2 wks before diagnosing the blown intake gasket. I will post pics below of how they look. I did change the oil after putting the gaskets on and used the cheap Peak 10w 30 from Orielly because it was 14 bucks with a filter. I havent changed it again yet but i will and run pennzoil 10w 40. I just pointed the oil thing out because checking out some other post about compression test results someone said something about the oil used but i wouldnt think that would be a cause of the results.

Car was just driven about 10 miles or a little more so it was good and warm and let turn over 5-6 seconds following the turnover attempts as a guide

1. 140
2. 130 ( got to the 4th turn over, I noticed it stopped the turn over sound and went to a solid tone. Tried again went to a solid tone after 2nd turn over sound and pressure read 90-100
3. 135
4. 135
5. 135
6. 145
7. 138
8. 130

Car has on a little over 100k since engine swap in 02 and isnt stock anymore ofcourse as far as top end stuff, exhaust. Total mileage is about 180k. I did No. 2 again after doing No. 8 and it showed zero on the tester. The tone was solid all the way throughout the 5 seconds. Car by that time had cooled down but i'm thinking it still should have showed something. I hope its something as simple as maybe needing to adjust the valves or something that can be fixed without pulling the motor or anything. Car starts up and runs fine but like I said I can still tell a little difference in the tone and still has a low end miss but the car idles fine and everything. I even noticed before I fixed the intake gasket my car wouldnt idle below 750 without cutting off with the IAC unplugged but that issue is solved now as i reset the idle today. Seems fixing the intake gasket and new plennum gaskets helped alot of stuff.

All the plugs look fine with the exception of No. 2. I was thinking no. 2 isnt that bad with the exception of being oil fouled maybe ??????
20131226_202519[1].jpg
20131226_202511[1].jpg

• Sponsors (?)

If you ever think an engine is down on compression, you can always put a little oil in the cylinder and redo the test. If the compression goes up a considerable amount, the rings are shot. If the compression readings are the same as the initial test, then your valves need adjusting or you have a burnt valve (that's if theres even a problem at all). Those compression readings aren't too bad but cyl. 2 getting down to 90 is pretty bad IMO

You have a few issues going on. Zero compression and oil in the combustion chamber.

Sorry for all the questions but trying to figure out what's going on.
Is the #2 where the gasket blew? Did you check the block deck and cylinder head for straightness and it was squeaky clean. Check the valves, guides, and seals? What did the #2 cylinder,piston and rings look like. You sure you didn't pinch a gasket, not on backwards. and the head bolts were properly lubed and torqued. Did you use head dowels?

squirt some oil in the #2 spark plug hole and redo the compression test. If the compression goes to normal, your rings are shot.

Time for a leakdown tester. It will tell you where the problem is.

You have a few issues going on. Zero compression and oil in the combustion chamber.

Is the #2 where the gasket blew? Did you check the block deck and cylinder head for straightness and it was squeaky clean. Check the valves, guides, and seals? What did the #2 cylinder,piston and rings look like. You sure you didn't pinch a gasket, not on backwards. and the head bolts were properly lubed and torqued. Did you use head dowels?

squirt some oil in the #2 spark plug hole and redo the compression test. If the compression goes to normal, your rings are shot.
I think it was the no. 2 runner on the upper plenum that had oil/coolant mixture in that runner only. All of the water jackets were torn on both sides, the intake gasket as a whole wasnt in too good a shape even tho it came apart more too pulling the intake off. I did change the plugs 2 wks before realizing the intake gaskets were blown so I'm hoping the no. 2 plug that i saw today might have been a carryover from the 2 wks of the intake gasket still being blown with new plugs. I didnt mess with the heads at all, never actually did a head job or mess with the valves at all. I only did everythign I had to do to fix the intake gasket. I also took a look in the head runners after getting everything cleaned up good and didnt see anything that looked wierd at least to my eyes of being a noob to alot of that stuff, but at least I should be able to recognize something out of the ordinary.

I sure would hate to put all the plugs back in and then take back out just to check the no. 2 but i guess that comes with the territory lol.

Time for a leakdown tester. It will tell you where the problem is.

I think it was the no. 2 runner on the upper plenum that had oil/coolant mixture in that runner only. All of the water jackets were torn on both sides, the intake gasket as a whole wasnt in too good a shape even tho it came apart more too pulling the intake off. I did change the plugs 2 wks before realizing the intake gaskets were blown so I'm hoping the no. 2 plug that i saw today might have been a carryover from the 2 wks of the intake gasket still being blown with new plugs. I didnt mess with the heads at all, never actually did a head job or mess with the valves at all. I only did everythign I had to do to fix the intake gasket. I also took a look in the head runners after getting everything cleaned up good and didnt see anything that looked wierd at least to my eyes of being a noob to alot of that stuff, but at least I should be able to recognize something out of the ordinary.

I sure would hate to put all the plugs back in and then take back out just to check the no. 2 but i guess that comes with the territory lol.

See the link to my site for details on how to build your own blow down type compression tester.

Disregard that ... The link doesn't work anymore. It has been a long time since I checked up on the site...

Last edited:
See the link to my site for details on how to build your own blow down type compression tester.

Disregard that ... The link doesn't work anymore. It has been a long time since I checked up on the site...

first thing I'm going to do this morning is change the oil from the cheap peak oil 10w 30 that i just intended to use after the intake change. It appeared that i didnt have coolant mix in the oil after all so i was going to leave that Peak oil in there but I'm going to change it to my normal Pennzoil 10w 40 thicker oil. Not sure if that thinner oil had a bearing on the results or anything but I'm just going to change it anyway. That and put a new plug in no. 2 as that one plug was dry oil fouled some.

Not sure if it will help but i wanted to do those two things and then hopefully a buddy has time to help me pull the valve cover and check the rocker arms. I will see if autozone or advance has a loaner bore scope if my buddy doesnt have one. Also probably before we check the rockers after driving the car some i will do a compression test using some oil in the hole.

Ok here is what we found after various test including another compression test on no. 2. It read 100 on the first test and after putting some oil in the hole it actually read 60. I didnt take all of the plugs out since I was just going to test for that one after doing a complete test yesterday.

Earlier before that after showing him the plug and its obvious fouling, we preceded to check for spark and fuel and both were successful using a spark tester. For the Injector we did a Noid test and also ohm tested that injector and it was in range. Yes we had a manual. Also used a stethescope to listen for the tone of the injectors.

Earlier before that after showing him the plug and its obvious fouling, we preceded to check for spark and fuel and both were successful using a spark tester. For the Injector we did a Noid test and also ohm tested that injector and it was in range. Yes we had a manual. Also used a stethescope to listen for the tone of the injectors.

Jerry listened to the car run for quite awhile, we both listened and there were no ticking, no knocking or anything, everything sounded normal. Idled fine with the exception of at one point when the idle went up but other than that while driving it idles fine and doesnt surge or even buck coming in the yard anymore. He is a pretty extensive guy and likes to check everything. Today was sort of cramped and he still took the time to help and advise me. He pretty much said its got to be either a head gasket or something going on with the head itself. If it was a ring, wouldn't the compression show higher after putting the oil in?

He said take the heads off and take them to the machine shop and get them checked out good and the guy there who is very very reputable would advise me on whats wrong and needs to be fixed. He said we could get to the ring to put a new one in there just for peace of mind by taking the oil pan off and getting to it like that or something of that sort. After we get the heads off we would know about the gasket also. So pretty much it should be in the head,head gasket, or ring ( though the compression didnt go up after the oil)?

When I fixed the intake gaskets bout a week ago, I used the felpro 1250s3 and didnt put any silicone on it at all except the front and rear of the intake and no leaks whatsoever so should I be able to re use that intake gasket?

I never reuse gaskets like that. They're cheap enough.
Sounds to me like you have a burnt valve or something
I'm guessing the guy at the machine shop would know when he checks it out. I guess that would require a new valve right? If so any particular ones to go with/buy?