RETARTED STANGER HERE: Timing issue....

VIPERn94Five-0

Founding Member
Apr 28, 2002
Poughkeepsie, NY
ok....so i pop the hood look down and see the timing marks on the balancer....mark the pulley at 10*(just trying to get it back to stock cuz i know its off...) pull out the spout and start the car.....look down at the markier( pointer that says TIME) and cant see the white mark ANYWHERE......look to the right of the fan(looking at the motor) and the white line is ALL the way over there....on the oppisite side of the crank as the pointer!!! lined up with the 10* mark on the balancer but nowhere NEAR the pointer....im either looking at something way wrong....or my timing is 4000* off!!!.....im learning here and ive installed headers, x, catback, and an intake manifold but im too stupid to get this timing thing right.....and what im seeing with the line so far off does not make sense to me at all...... :shrug: :shrug: :shrug:

Anthony

• Sponsors (?)

First I'm going to assume your using a timing light... because thats the only way you will be able to set timing.. Now, make sure the timing light is put on the correct sparkplug wire... which is the #1 plug wire... If your timing light is on the #1... then it should work, unless the outer ring of the HB has spun on the hub.. but if that was the case, your engine would be shaking...

Killer95Stang said:
First I'm going to assume your using a timing light... because thats the only way you will be able to set timing.. Now, make sure the timing light is put on the correct sparkplug wire... which is the #1 plug wire... If your timing light is on the #1... then it should work, unless the outer ring of the HB has spun on the hub.. but if that was the case, your engine would be shaking...
yes using a light....yes attached to #1 cylinder.....i just dont understand that why when i mark the pulley lined up with the 10* mark and then point the light....the white line is on the other side of the crank than the pointer!! AHHHHHH!!!! seriously im so freaking out about this....

Anthony

Anthony,

Put your head right over the altenator. It's been along time since I've done my car (or seen it for that matter :( ) but I think that I rested the timing pointer betweent the alt and the upper rad hose. Then I looked down on the balancer from there.

Let me know if that works out for you.

Jake

I'm assuming the cars not running like ass??? So im thinking its just the way your looking at it.....

Recheck your mark at 10 deg....if memory serves me right you have the 0 then you can go 10 either side of it...maybe you marked the wrong side, hence its shooting the other side of the timing tab...Mark the other 10 deg mark and shoot it again...

Your balancer is set-up like so......BTDC...10....0....10....ATDC.....

If thats not it than your balancer may of spun???

if your timeing was actually that far off. (180*) the motor would not even start, it would pop and backfire and somewhat seem like it wanted to but it wouldn't. so either you just marked, the wrong 10 or looking at it wrong or something, its hard to believe that the balancer spun, not impossible though. is the rubber deteroriated? does it vibrate at an idle?

When I did my h/c/i swap, I didn't notice that my balancer spun... so I spent twos trying to figure out why the car would run like **** when it was timed at 10degrees... We would stab the Distributer 180 degrees out, and it worked great... except for the killer vibration. :( Finally I grabbed onto the balancer with the belt off, and the damm thing spun...

RIO5.0 said:
I'm assuming the cars not running like ass??? So im thinking its just the way your looking at it.....

Recheck your mark at 10 deg....if memory serves me right you have the 0 then you can go 10 either side of it...maybe you marked the wrong side, hence its shooting the other side of the timing tab...Mark the other 10 deg mark and shoot it again...

Your balancer is set-up like so......BTDC...10....0....10....ATDC.....

If thats not it than your balancer may of spun???
the car doesnt run like **** but it does fall on its face at 5k rpm.....and the tach needle kinda jumps around its weird.....

Anthony

I think the distributor is still off. On my car it's easier to see the pointer from the passenger side of the car. I can't see it if I'm standing in front of the vehicle. What kind of light are you using? I use the Craftsmen one with the dial. Dial in the number (10 in your case) and move the distrib until it says 0 on the pointer.

VibrantRedGT said:
I think the distributor is still off. On my car it's easier to see the pointer from the passenger side of the car. I can't see it if I'm standing in front of the vehicle. What kind of light are you using? I use the Craftsmen one with the dial. Dial in the number (10 in your case) and move the distrib until it says 0 on the pointer.
Joe, im sure the distributor is still off cuz i was so confused at what i saw i didnt even mess with it.....so exactly how does this craftsman light work??? im confused on how you turn the dial on the gun to 10* and then set the dizzy at 0* and it stays at 10*.....the only problem im having is the lines with the numbers seem to be nowhere near the pointer....like i see the pointer from the left side of the car but the line i marked is on the drivers side of the car....i wish i could post pics of it.....

Anthony

Did you figure it out? Are you using some different kind of timing like or just a regular one with a pickup for the #1 spark plug wire and one for the battery termanial and then just a button to push to make the light flash or go off.

Like Joe said, it's easier to see it from the passanger side. I still stand at the front of the car when I do mine, but I'm standing more off to the passanger side.

Any stangers in your area that you could ask? I know you'd feel like a retard, but then you could really know if your balancer is spun.

Jake

Jake and Joe said everything I was going to about where to look and to make sure your timing light "dial" (if it has one) is set at zero. If you want to see if the balancer is spun, pull the #1 spark plug out and have a friend turn the motor over by hand while you put your finger against the spark plug hole. Feel with your finger the until the air is coming out of the hole. Then continue to do it until the air just stops, look under the dist. cap and varify that the rotor is pointing at the #1 prong on the cap. Then look down at the balancer... it should be damn near dead on 0 which is top dead center for the #1 piston, if it shows some other number, your balancer has spun. Hope that helps.
-Paul

im surprised this hasnt been said yet, now by how far your saying its off i doubt this will do much, but you need to pull the SPOUT connector out to check base timing at idle, the computer advances it to like 20 or so with it in at idle. Now being that far off and running ok i'd say the balancer has spun like mentioned above.

Check this link good info here about timing: http://www.muscularmustangs.com/timing.php

im surprised this hasnt been said yet, now by how far your saying its off i doubt this will do much, but you need to pull the SPOUT connector out to check base timing at idle, the computer advances it to like 20 or so with it in at idle. Now being that far off and running ok i'd say the balancer has spun like mentioned above.

Check this link good info here about timing: http://www.muscularmustangs.com/timing.php

It's been about 3 years since the issue - let's hope he got it covered.

Good info though. :nice: