RHS Heads vs Canfield?

65FBE2

Mar 8, 2007
Minnasnowta
So as luck would have it I was looking for a new set of heads for my 347. I found a set of Canfields at a shop that had some damage. The guy said they were very fixable and you would not be able to tell they had every had work done. I offered $800 for them if he fixed and freshened them up. He said no way, so I went looking elsewhere. I bought a set of New in the box RHS cast iron heads 200cc from a guy for $760(smokin deal). Guess who called and said he would take the $800 offer.
So now I own 2 sets of heads, Which ones to use is the question. The Canfields are better prepped as they have been ported and have 7/16 studs and 10* locks and of course are alum and the springs are set up for a solid roller. But my fear is they may be a little over kill. The RHS are set up for a solid flat tappet with .56 max lift.
The car is set up as a road course car with some limited street use. I would like a broad torque curve and would give a little on the top end to get it 2500-6800 rpm. Compression is around 10.3 with either head.
I have both a RPM air gap and old torker single plane (could use either)
1,5/8" long tube headers, 750 HP DP or 650 Mighty Demon Carb(could use either) 3.70 gear and T5z tranny. I will be buying a new cam to match what ever combo I go with.
Looking for any input you guys have to help make this a winning combo!

• Sponsors (?)

I've got Canfield's equivalent of AFR's 165's on my 331 and have never wished or more. They work extemely well with a repop Ford 3x2 (highrise dual plane) and the Ford Z303 roller. Same compression you're running. Powerband runs from 1500 to 6500.

Well I will find out soon as I am having him flow test the Canfields but just judging them visual, I would guess they have a intake port volume in the 215cc plus range and I will be suprised if they flow less than 315. They were on a full tilt vintage race car. Do all Canfields have the raised exhaust port? If so have you had any header fitment issues on a 65-66 Mustang?

Thanks "snail". I will give him a call. I have used Cam Research in the past as he has a lot of Ford flow experience but he had a swing and a miss with my 289 convertible cam. It was way to mild and the car dies over 4,000 rpm. I have been looking for another custom cam grinder for a better fit for this upgrade.

I've used Cam Research as well. The applications were different so I can't comment "who's better". I will say the buying experience was very different. Call C/R tell him what you got and what you want it to do, and the cam is in the mail in a day. CI will take longer and you will talk about every aspect of your combo (suspension, fuel system, ignition, etc). He is very concerned you get everything right.