Ringing sound around 2000 RPM

bigbird04

Jul 15, 2010
Decatur Al.
I have a ringing sound around 2000 RPM under load. The sound is faint and only when in gear. ( sounds like coins jingiling ) I didn't notice it untill I installed a BBK off road X pipe. I think it may be lightly tapping something under load. Am I on the right track or could something more serious be the cause ?

• Sponsors (?)

Need more info. Could be the transmission, or something more simple.
Do you have an automatic or manual transmission.
When you mean under load, do you mean while the car is moving or while the car is in nutral with the pedal gently pressed. Again need more info.

bigbird04:

What you describe --coins jingling-- is "pinging" (detonation, pre-ignition, knocking, etc., etc.). If you are running regular grade (87 octane), try bumping up to 89 octane or 91/93, if necessary.

HTH,

Chris

Sorry about slow response been at work. Its a 5 speed and only does it with the clutch engaged. It don't do it sitting still with car in neutral. It does it with any amount of throttle applied, whether I'm bringing engine speed up slowly or hammering on it. The sound does not get louder the harder I'm in it, the sound seems to stay the same. Again it only makes this sound around 2000 RPM when the car is in gear ( any gear ) and rolling . I never really thought about detonation I always thought that would only occur during hard acceleration . I guess I would need to see if its pulling timing. I can maybe borrow a scan tool from a freind at work . Oh and I do run 87 octane fuel. The car as far as I know has a factory tune. It has a bbk off road x and welded in flow masters. Maybe this helps a little thats realy all I can think of for now. Thanks for your help in advance.

bigbird04:

Thanks for the update. It may not be detonation, lol. It might just be the clutch/pressure plate. Pinging can come and go, depending on load, RPM, and the gear that the car is in. The fact that the sound is tied to 2000 RPM (give or take) makes me think it is more mechanical than process. Filling the tank up with higher octane fuel will not cost you a lot but it will help to see if it helps to reduce or eliminate the noise.

The off-road pipe does not have any sound damping material in it like the good old stock (catted) pipe. Did you notice this ringing immediately after the o/r pipe went on or was there a period of quiet? If so then the sound may not be associated with the new pipe. Is there any contact betwen the pipe and the body? 2000 RPM is a well-known speed where resonance (drone) begins. No idea what the source of the sound is so I'm just throwing out some ideas to check out.

HTH,

Chris

If the noise started after the midpipe installation it would make sense to retrace your steps and look for loose bolts, hangers not seated, a gasket that dropped part-way out etc etc.

Thanks guys . I did not notice the sound before I put the x pipe on . I was so annoyed by the rasp after installing the x pipe,that all I could hear was rasp. I'm not sure it started right after putting the ORX on. I just thought of something, I bought the x pipe used. The guy I bought it from had like a reducer or something in the driver side where it bolts to the manifold. It was just dropped in the pipe. It was flanged like the pipe connector just smaller. I debated on using it or not and decided to. Do all BBK ORXs have this, or could this thing be in there just rattling away. It looks like the female side of a ball flange connector and is dropped in the larger ball flange on the pipe that hooks up to the manifold. Sorry if I just confused the hell out of you , I think I did myself too.

bigbird04:

The "bell" is provided so the pipe will fit all model years. Some model years need the bell, some do not. I cannot tell you for certain if your vehicle needs the bell.

LOL about the ORX rasp. Yes, that is a common gripe but most like the rasp because the uncatted pipe nets a few more HP than the catted pipe. Life is full of compromises.

I'll go hunting for threads about the inserted bell in the hope that I can find a thread that defines which MY requires the bell and which ones do not.

Chris

Thanks nyuk98gt

I did a search and found that the bell is used to seal the driver side pipe.I have a 04 so I don't know if it needs it or not. I've got to install rear shocks sometime this week, I'll look for loose clamps or exhaust componets rubbing anything then. I just filled the thank with 93 octane, couldn't hurt right.Maybe its just the way the pipe sounds. I want to change to magnaflow mufflers I know they will help with drone don't know if they will help the raspiness though.