RIP stock T-5

RyanSG

Founding Member
Oct 24, 2002
Allentown, Pa
Hey guys, well was at the track today and looks like the predicted has finally happend.... the stock t5 went out on me today although it has proven to be good to me for a few months at 460-510rwhp and over 540ft of TQ.... with my good ol 2.73's..... so I can't really complane about it, although it's time to get and upgrde so it won't happen again.... I was curious to see what you guys are using for a manual trans in your fox bodies... build the t5, and if so what d i do or where would i go? buy a built one and from where etc... basicly trying to see what everyones got and who likes what etc.... going to stick with the manual trans though just lookin for some sugestions and opinions! thanks again everyone!

• Sponsors (?)

For that sort of power, you should probably look into stepping up to a TKO-600 or Viper spec T56 if you're planning on staying manual. I've read a lot of good about the G-Force gears for the T5, but they're still so new on the market that I'm hesitant at going with them. I'm in the same predicament myself, although I'm nowhere near your power level. My T5 is getting pretty tired.

I'm running the TKO-600 right now and it takes all the abuse I give it with a smile. I'm not makin huge power yet, but after blowing one T-5 after only 500 miles I decided to do it right this time. I don't think you could go wrong with a TKO, G-Force T-5 kit, or even Astro Performance kit.

i was looking into the g-force t5 kits anyone have an opinion on thoes and how they are compared to the tko? I'm trying to re-use the case etc to save a lil moola but if i have to go with all new i will... rather have it last then break again... also to swap a tko in what wold i need to do? or are they a direct bolt on unit?

I bought a used case G-Force T-5 setup with upgraded mainshaft and billet cluster support plate. Came out to around $2150 I believe. All I did was take the old one out and put the new one in. Sold my stock one for $350 since it was still good. I had to upgrade my clutch also with a 26 spline disk so I went with a Pro Motion setup and it drives like a Honda with a lot more power of course.

You won't have a problem with G-Force or Astro-Performance.

well it looks like where goin to head over to g-force 2morrow, or at least give them a call and see whats the best option what they are etc.... there only about a hour or so away from my house i'm hopen they have someone there we could talk to or a gearset we could see etc... so i'll have to report back on that then! I'm starting to contemplate their dogbox setup, although i'm not sure on the street how they would perform or what issues as to how long they last etc would be compared to the standard syncro type setup.....

The price difference between a TKO and the Gforce wasn't all that much If I remember correctly... at least with the upgraded mainshaft and such to handle the same power as the TKO. I think in total to my door with a Mcleod 26 spline clutch disk, AL bellhousing, TKO600, 3 qts of Synchromesh, and the 31 spline yoke was 2500 all from D&D. The difference was within a couple hundred.
Kevin

i talked to g-force today and it looks like the dog box is out lol... prob wouldn't be to good for any street use.... The syncro upgrade kit though is $1095.00+$280(if i remember) for the install kit they use+$250 for the labor which is't to bad at all for a rate... so the total is about $1625 for the trans to be done.... i also would have to get a new clutch disk since it's a 26 spline input shaft... which i woudl need with the TKO anyway...
If i woudl go with a TKO trans then what would i need otherwise to install this in my 89 fox body.... And what hp/Tq ratings are they usually good for?

It depends whick TKO you're referring to. The older TKO and TKO II, was good for 450 ft-lbs, if memory serves. The TKO500 is good for 500, and the TKO600.... well you get the point.

Chris

well it would probebly have to be the TKO-500 or 600.... th car puts down about 545ft of tq at 510hp.... and i w as goign to go up in hp a little bit yet although the TQ was startign to level off as hp was going up... so i might be stuck with a tko-600.... what would i need to install that? i'm guessing a 26spline clutch but do i also need another shifter bell housing, driveshaft etc..?.. And what would be a reputable place to get one, i would be leary to get one used so it would probebly just be a new unit....

You can use the stock driveshaft. You'll need a different yoke, bellhousing, shifter (or you can use theirs), and at a minimum a different clutch disc.

The Old TKO, though rated at 450, is more than enough for your current power-level. I'd go with a newer one, though, if you plan to push any more...

Chris

I don't have any vibration issues. I did index the bellhousing though supposidly the with the AL ones you don't need to. I went ahead and bought the HPM crossmember to save myself the trouble of cutting and welding the stock one... It does look a whole lot stronger and it relocates the mount in the ideal position so the tailhousing won't possibly bump on hard acceleration.
Kevin

Sicarius428 said:
I don't have any vibration issues. I did index the bellhousing though supposidly the with the AL ones you don't need to. I went ahead and bought the HPM crossmember to save myself the trouble of cutting and welding the stock one... It does look a whole lot stronger and it relocates the mount in the ideal position so the tailhousing won't possibly bump on hard acceleration.
Kevin

which bellhousing did you use?

I have at least 4 members on my forums running the new tko's (some with 500's and some with 600's) that have vibrations on the hwy (60mph). One of the guys told me he was going to take his 600 out and use it for a boat anchor LOL

lol, yeah i'm prob going to stick with the t5 and upgrade that.... Seems for the price and time etc that will be the best suited option... I'm not sure if there are any other companies like g-force that make gearsets and do upgrades etc....?... What does Hanlon have to offer, i tryed to look things up on the web site but it dosn't seem to give a whole lot of info, so i'll hopefully give him a call then on tuesday and see what he can do.... any other t5 places?

heres what you need i have seen some good prices on tko 500s on ebay... heres one click on link its at $1500 now at $2000 this is a good deal http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Trem...4QQihZ010QQcategoryZ33733QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

tko500tranny001.jpg

installed it last week....

tremectransmission003.jpg

tremectransmission008.jpg

Attachments

• tko500tranny001.jpg
    tko500tranny001.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 32
  • tremectransmission003.jpg
    tremectransmission003.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 27
  • tremectransmission008.jpg
    tremectransmission008.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 26
I am running the tremec aluminium bellhousing. I wish I had the money for a Mcleod or something steel but for my power. The AL one is just fine. Your friends are pushing some serious power so for an SAE rated one indexing is very important.
Kevin