Build Thread "Rising from Ashes" 94 Cobra build thread

• Sponsors (?)

I still need to do more work on the fronts to get them to where I'm happy. I'll post them up when I can call them done. But for now, I'm getting back to the body work.

Thanks...I think
I am back to working on the body by blocking the panels on the car so I can get all the lines and gaps done and everything matched up nice. I wont be posting any more primer pics since I'm sure everyone is tired of primer and ready for paint like me.

LOL Yes sir. The seats look great. (crispy = Fresh & New lol)

I got my bumper cover all sanded.
Car is going to the body shop Saturday to get the quarter damage straightened out.
I'll be working the primer for the next few days getting ready for spray.
Cant wait. :banana:

Started my double din conversion and putting in my manual fan switches.

sanded the scratches out if the seat belt trim, re textured it and matched the color.
Interior46.jpg

I would really like to know how you did this retexturing. I have some places in my Fox that could really use it. Also, how can one touch up powdercoating?

Fascinating project. I'm still following it on a semi-regular basis.

Jonathan

I would really like to know how you did this retexturing. I have some places in my Fox that could really use it. Also, how can one touch up powdercoating?

Fascinating project. I'm still following it on a semi-regular basis.

Jonathan

Hey Jonathan,

Good to know your still around. I was redoing a fox interior part last night so I took some pics to show my retexture process.

1.) Of course start with cleaning the part with prep sol. Then sand it with a red scotchbrite pad. Then I sand the nicked or scratched areas with with 220 until smoothed. Fill with flexible filler and then sand those areas with 320 until smooth.

This is what it should look like before retexturing starts. You should not be able to feel any scratches.
mustang.jpg

I use mix my own texture spray which I buy in quarts and spray through a primer gun. I usually stand 36 inches back to get a good texture. Then before wet dab with a swatch of the interior panel texture I am matching.
mustang1.jpg

2nd coat
mustang2.jpg

I will sand between coats and usually do 4 coats then wetsand lightly with 320 to look like this.
mustang3.jpg

Then sprayed with 3-4 light coats of interior dye. Just a note, it will adhere much better if the part stays under a heat lamp.
mustang4.jpg

mustang5.jpg

Finished panel
mustang6.jpg

On powdercoating touch up... The best option is to scuff up the part and put it in the oven, heat it up, then take out and repowder over top. The other option is too take some of the powder you used and mix with Automotive clear coat and just brush or spray the area that needs touch up. Most companies you get powder from also sell a brush or spray touch up to match their colors.

I still owe you one, so if you have trouble with either repair, send it to me and I'll take care of it for you. Otherwise..I'll see you at Mustang week.

Last edited:
That looks great! Thanks for the description. You don't owe me a darn thing!

As for my own fox, I pulled the motor to swap the oil pan, and project scope creep has gotten a hold on me. I decided to smooth and paint the engine bay. My progress so far is detailed here: http://southeasternfoxbodies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33636 I doubt it will come even close to your standards, but it can't look any worse than it does now!

As for the powdercoat touch up, the worst areas are the typically tight spots on the headers where the Faraday Cage effect doesn't let the powder settle in. I don't think any of it will be noticable once my headers are installed.

That looks great! Thanks for the description. You don't owe me a darn thing!

As for my own fox, I pulled the motor to swap the oil pan, and project scope creep has gotten a hold on me. I decided to smooth and paint the engine bay. My progress so far is detailed here: http://southeasternfoxbodies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33636 I doubt it will come even close to your standards, but it can't look any worse than it does now!

As for the powdercoat touch up, the worst areas are the typically tight spots on the headers where the Faraday Cage effect doesn't let the powder settle in. I don't think any of it will be noticable once my headers are installed.

Thanks man! Looks like another fun engine bay project. Let me know if you need any help. I may have to join over there to keep up with it.
Also...let me know how the high temp powdercoated headers work out.

This has nothing to do with this build. Just excited to latch onto my third set of Recaro seats. I sprayed a boat deck for a buddy and he insisted on giving these to me for helping.
Untitled-1.jpg

79PaceCarseats.jpg

79PaceCarseats1.jpg

79PaceCarseats8.jpg

They are all there and the trim is mint. All the foam is good except the typical driver seat where one would get in. One seat track is cracked which is why the driver looks off in the pic but I can easily fix that. I will powdercoat all the metal and put them on the shelf for a future project..

Reactions: 1 user
let me jump in here for a quick side note: -- we have that Recaro Pattern for both the Foam and the Upholstery and are working AS WE SPEAK to get the Recaro Checkered material made to our specifications. I'll keep the forum updated on it's progress!

Thanks man! I appreciate the info. It seems that I have accidentally started a side upholstery business, so I would really be interested in replacement foam for recaros.

Thanks man! I appreciate the info. It seems that I have accidentally started a side upholstery business, so I would really be interested in replacement foam for recaros.

We have the foams currently available - as well as the upholstery patterned - just not in the checkered black and white. For instance, you could get a set of recaro's done in black cloth or black vinyl - no problem, and foam if you need it...

OMG that is so sad. The blue one was was just too clean, to the point I don't think I could bear to drive it down the street. Sorry for your loss. I'm actually about to have my home owners policy changed to another carrier, going to make sure they cover my project cars!

Good luck with the new project.

Finally got all caught up on this thread...took me long enough. Amazing work Sir and I often times run down to TN to visit my Father (He is in Nashville). Wouldn't mind seeing this beauty in person some day. Could also drop off some parts for powder coating eventually also. Can't wait to see this outcome and more progress! Excited for you to finish this up and happy you came out of that tragedy with your head up! Let me know if you need any parts located we have a few yards up here with some pretty mint interior pieces.

Any updates from the last week or so?
My 94 project has been pushed to the side a little. I have been working on several different things in the past 3 weeks. They range from painting an old raceboat to swapping in a 427 side oiler motor into a little t-top coupe. So I have had to push my own stuff to the side.
I did get the 79 pace car recaro seats torn down and powdercoated.
79PaceCarRecaros14.jpg

79PaceCarRecaros16.jpg

79PaceCarRecaros21.jpg

I will probably use these in the 94 instead of the other I did.
OMG that is so sad. The blue one was was just too clean, to the point I don't think I could bear to drive it down the street. Sorry for your loss. I'm actually about to have my home owners policy changed to another carrier, going to make sure they cover my project cars!

Good luck with the new project.
Thanks man. Get an agreed upon declared value as a collector car through a separate policy. Home owners will never cover a true value to include mods. Take it from someone who has been through it.

Finally got all caught up on this thread...took me long enough. Amazing work Sir and I often times run down to TN to visit my Father (He is in Nashville). Wouldn't mind seeing this beauty in person some day. Could also drop off some parts for powder coating eventually also. Can't wait to see this outcome and more progress! Excited for you to finish this up and happy you came out of that tragedy with your head up! Let me know if you need any parts located we have a few yards up here with some pretty mint interior pieces.
Thanks Steve! Sorry this thing has turned into 29 pages, I am always looking to by mint pieces, PM me on what you have.

Still blocking the body with all the panels bolted up now. Should be able to start painting some pieces in the next couple of weeks.
I also finished up my gauge cluster re build and and now it is ready to go back in the car.
Interior50.jpg

what white face gagues did you use? I like the SVT Logo. Also where did you get the trim that goes around them?
The face gauges are my stock cobra ones. The SVT logo I cut out of vinyl... copying the one off the 2003 Cobra gauges. I have extra that I sell if you want one. The trim ring is made by UPR. You can get the brushed like mine or a polished one.

Man, I wish I had skills like you. I really do. Very impressive.
Thanks man!
Id love to have one!
I will send you a pm on it. I don't think I saved your address.

I am working on getting my lights together. I am doing several sets for this car. I can go back and forth on the 94/95 and 96/98 Taillights, so I'm doing a couple sets of each. All OEM. One set of stock and one set of smoked lights.I have my own mix to do light medium and dark smoke. I did a medium on these. Here is the progress.
Stock used lights
IMG_0647.jpg

A.jpg

Smoked sets...After some work and spraying
IMG_0663.jpg

IMG_0659.jpg

IMG_0655.jpg

This is one of my stock ones finished up.
IMG_0642.jpg