Roller vs non Roller problems

PNFCobra

Dec 12, 2006
Cary,NC
Let me start by saying I am new to the forum and mostly new to small block Fords. Hoping I can get some help here with a problem I cannot figure out. I have an RX7 with a 302 roller motor that has major problems. Really low compression on 2 cylinders and water out the exhaust. Rather than rebuild, I found a .030 over, 302 balanced short block with 9:1 pistons. I got such a great price I brought it home. Have pulled the old motor and had the GT40 heads that were on it done. Now as I am putting this thing together I have couple problems. The guy that I bought it from says it came from an ’85 Lincoln, but the serial number on the block says it is an 80. I have no reason not to believe him. The assembly numbers say it was assembled in ’83. So, it has a one piece rear main seal which ,makes it at least an ’81? The real issue is balance, I understand that anything after ’81 is 50 oz. I want to reuse the balancer and flex plate from the roller motor. The new shortblock has a non roller cam and lifters and the block does not have the tapped holes for the roller cam spiderweb. Another piece of the confusion is that the new shortblock has a single roller timing chain. I am swapping the serpentine system I have from the roller over to the new shortblock which meant I have to use the timing cover and water pump from the roller motor. This necessitated cutting down the cup shaped deal on the end of the cam in the short block. I am kind of stuck right now primarily because of the balance issue.
To net this all out, I am confused as heck right now. The shortblock serial number is E0AE , with a D30 under that and a 6 under the D30. The assembly code is 3J28.
Help!

• Sponsors (?)

So please clarify the question. Is it How to match the Balance of the crank vs harmonic balancer and rear plate? The block could be any year and end up with either balance if it was rebuilt. The parts need to match ounces, not years. If you need a serpentine and early balance set up, my 1979 started that way.

So please clarify the question. Is it How to match the Balance of the crank vs harmonic balancer and rear plate? The block could be any year and end up with either balance if it was rebuilt. The parts need to match ounces, not years. If you need a serpentine and early balance set up, my 1979 started that way.
I get that they need to match the ounces. The problem is I do not know what that is for the new shortblock based on the info I have. I thought the clue was the one piece seal. The person that built the motor is the father of the guy I bought it from. He left a whole garage full of stuff for his son to get rid of. Yes I need to use the serpentine system or hunt down a bunch of pulleys, redo my PS and several other things. So the basic question is: How do I tell if I need 28oz or 50 oz???