roof replacement progress

Tony R

May 29, 2008
Vancouver Wa
Well tonight I ran a brace in on the drivers and passengers side door. I decided against crosss bracing as well. I then drilled the spot welds out of the front and back windows. Next I will have to sand the roof skin that I already scavaged off a donor and prime it so that I can see where I have to cut my pillars.

• Sponsors (?)

x2
I always felt, of all the panels to replace, this is the biggest project.
Although, I would add the cross bracing, so the side panels don't come together a little.

The roof has three pretty good sized dents. the back of the roof along the top of the window was smashed in and over both doors was creased in to about the middle of the roof. Almost like it was hit with a base ball bat at some time. The provious owner repaired it with bondo. I am planning to paint the car black so I figured this was the easiest and best way for me to get the roof flat again.

I sanded the top of the donor skin today and I found bondo. Not as bad as the original. I found a few rusted through spots at the windshield trim clips. I will try to sand the under side tomorrow to get ready to prime it.

I started sanding the under side of my skin today and it is being a little more difficult than the top. For some reason the paint is stuck better on the bottom than the top. Even with 40 grit on a DA it is being stubborn. Hopefully I can have it all sanded and primed tomorrow after work.

well I finished sanding my donor skin today. I cleaned it up and put rust mort on it. I will be able to prime it tomorrow since I have to wait 24 hours for it to dry and do its thing. I also cut the roof skin off my car. I just need to clean up the edges and remove some rust and it will be ready to reinstall.

Nice ambitious project. Sweet that you have a rotisserie.

I am not sure if you are aware of it, but there is a factory roof joint at the bottom of the rear sail panel (just above the quarter panel.) It is covered with lead.

Your way will probably work out for you, but you might consider going all the way down.

Nice job

I my self is in the process of replacing the roof on my car, have you already welded in the new roof and if so how difficult was the alignment and welding of the new roof? also do you mention that you were going to shave the drip rails; how is that turning out? let me know thanks. Chris

again nice work..:nice:

I know about the seam down low but thought it would be just as easy to do it up high. I will go lower that I cut in the pics. I just wanted to get the old roof off first that way I can set the new skin on and use it as a guide. As for the rotisserie I built it. I haven't set the roof on yet. I may try to do some of it tonight if I can get my welder back from my neighbor. I will post more pics of my progress as it occurs.

Nice job Tony. Are you sure you want to put the roof back on? I can visualize a convertible top like the old VW bugs and buses had. You know the kind that folded back like a shade.

Only kidding, but it does look great.

You know that is kinda funny Darreld. When I first bought the car I found a video on E-bay on how to turn a coupe into a convertible. It looks like too much work.

i was about to cut it off, but then just gave it to a scrap guy cause i was tired of looking at it :(

but don't hate me, i'm a high school auto shop teacher and it had been sitting out back for over a year and my other 66 was looking rather nice

You know that is kinda funny Darreld. When I first bought the car I found a video on E-bay on how to turn a coupe into a convertible. It looks like too much work.

Was this for an actual convertible top or the Mustangs Plus foldable hard top? Because that conversion is a piece of cake compared to what you are doing now and I can't help but think that this is a perfect candidate for that. I still find it hard to believe that Ford spent $250,000 1964 dollars on the prototype and then scrapped it just because they couldn't motorize it like the Fairlane. :nonono:

retractablevintage.jpg

It was for an actual convertible. It was some hill billy in his back yard cutting up a car and having his girlfriend film it for him. I never seen the folding top before. I wouldn't imagine that I could keep it dry in the car with that set up here in the great north west.

so I cut the roof to fit tonight. I sanded the frame and painted it to prevent any more rust issues. I flanged the skin and fit it in place. I will start to weld it on tomorrow.

Attachments

• tmpphpo7J3lQ.jpg
    tmpphpo7J3lQ.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 113
  • tmpphpnC1Jk7.jpg
    tmpphpnC1Jk7.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 96