Rough Estimate On Horsepower?

Copba1t

Dec 28, 2009
Ok, I bought a 90 LX about 2 or 3 weeks ago, the guy I bought it from estimated the setup made 550 hp and 500 ft lbs of torque, and Im pretty sure he was talking at the fly, not the wheels. Any idea of what its putting on the ground?

My setup is:
351w bored to a 356, all forged Bullet Proof bottom end cranks turned 10 thousandths h-beam rods kieth black flat top pistons moroso 8 qt. double hump oil pan edlebrock rpm heads port matched to edlebrock air gap intake high rise holly 700 carb freshly rebuilt double pumper mechanical secondaries k&n tri-mouth air cleaner ignition is all msd pro bullit distributor backed by a 6al box msd cap and rotor. fuel is a holly blue pump all 1/2 line to regulator and 3/8 to carb 13 gallon fuel cell in trunk along with battery relocate. all backed by a built tremic T5 and king cobra clutch. 8.8 rear with 3.73 gears

• Sponsors (?)

i think that estimate is high.. but i don't know 351 numbers well.

i also swore i read a thread about a guy throwing a rod through that same worded engine's block. did you buy this car with a blown engine?

Not 550HP but, If you have a camshaft for naturally aspirated combo I'ld say it's going to make around 480HP at the crank if the compression is at least 9.8:1. 351W aren't used for a dramatic increase in HP over a 302, it's for increase in torque, they don't like to run RPM's higher then 6,500 unless some real detailed internal balance was done to the rotating assembly

In a NA combo the heads are the most important thing, and i think rpm heads are more for a 302 than a 351.
I'm with tokyojoe, probably about 350rwhp. No point in talking flywheel since in most cases it's really not measureable.

Not Sure if this Helps but with my 306 Stock Block Setup with RPM Heads and a Procharger 8PSI i lay down 397 RWHP. Not sure on the 351 Setups, but N/A it seems logical to put down at least 350 - 400 RWHP.