rough idle?

EXTRPR50

Founding Member
Oct 7, 1998
Hey guys, I hve a 93 coupe that is stock 'cept for a CAI. Lately, the car has been running really rough, with a chugging idle. The exhaust smells horrible from gas, I guess that's rich?
What can I check first to figure out this mess?
I have changed plugs cap wires fuel filter, oil, and that has given great performance for the past 6 months.
Its a 5 spd. btw Thanx!

• Sponsors (?)

get a $30 reader and dump the codes. you can pull codes with paper clip, but the reader is nice and easy, and i use mine all the time. Jrichker will be by shortly i'm sure with his list...

could be almost anything. i'd check for vac leaks, maybe run a bottle of injector cleaner, check your EGR valve and see if its working properly, but dumping the codes is where you should start

Okay, I found my old actron reader, but lost the booklet. Do I just plug it into the diagnostic connector and turn the key to "on" then count flashes? I forgot, is there an easy way someone could explain the process from plug in to reading flashes? Thanx.

i still highly recommend a reader, like the one posted in the link. thats the same one i have. it makes it foolproof with the digital display. probably best $30 you can spend on a tool. they come with a book to tell you what the codes mean so you can get started on fixing your problems. i had a rich exhaust smell, and idle would drop and almost stall, or stall, at first startup and when coming to a stop. turned out to be a leaking EGR valve. get a reader

As has been suggested before, see the "Surging Idle Checklist for help with all your idle/stall problems. The first two posts contain all the updates to the fixes. At last count there were 24 possible causes and fixes for surging idle/stall problems. I continue to update it as more people post fixes or ask questions.