rough running car

Stableboy

Founding Member
Nov 29, 2001
Perryville MD
This is a follow up to a problem I first asked about in the begining of the summer. My 1990 2.3 auto convert will not stay smooth. The car starts and drives fine for approx 12-15 minutes, then all hell breaks loose. The car looses its ability to accelerate smoothly, sputters under acceleration, has a barely running idle and almost no pickup. This issue first presented itself while driving. The radio didn't work that day, but it faded on (if that makes sense) right before this happened. I have been told that is not important, but I thought I would mention it. I have sinse driven with radio on/off and still had issues. I was driving this car 50+ miles a day to work round trip with no issues.
Here is what was done already:
When I first bought car--head gasket, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, oil change, new radiator.
After this issue--found loose distributer bolt-tightened, reset timing after tightening bolt, new fuel filter. Pulled codes with voltmeter-bad o2 sensor, replaced. Also looked in to egr valve by plugging it to see if any changes happened, but same issue arose.
cars runs better with reset timing, but after 12 to 15 minutes same thing happens. PLease give me an avenue to pursue, there are still 3-4 weeks of no roof driving in this area.

• Sponsors (?)

In orderto check the cat get a infered temp gun. Warm the car up take a temp reading before and after the cat if the temp is extremely diffrent then i'd say thats it? peace

john:p