Running Out of Gear?!?!

5ohhh

Mar 31, 2005
Loveville, MD
ok guys ill try and make this short and sweet. I installed 4:10's and a Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch a few weeks back and I went from a 14.60 @ 96 MPH to a 14.52 @94. Am I running out of gear??? I figured gears would be worth atleast 2-3 tenths...is my stock exhaust holding me back with that bad with the higher rpm's??? anyone know what could be the prob?? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

what was your 60' ifyou have cut lowering springs, chances are it is really low and not getting good weight transfer...that is prolly killing your times some.... I would also think that you would be a little faster....... with about the same you have i pulled quite a few 9.1*** somethings..... way back when.

jaosn

You should be just under 5,000 RPM at the end of the run. So, it seems like you are not running out of gear. In fact that sounds just about right. Of course, remember that you added an additional shift over stock (you probably were at mid to high RPM in 3rd gear, whereas now you are near the top of 4th gear). So that adds a bit back on top of what the gears took off.

i bet you could get a k&N, bump timing, and drive a little harder and be pretty close to a 14 flat with the mods you have.........

i have a k&n i bought about a month b4 i got my CAI...... you can get it dirt cheap if you wanna ship it.....lol

Well that stuff make sense but the thing is im at like 5,300-5,400 through the traps in 4th. I think the problem is what i just stated. That seems like too many rpm's for basically a bone stock motor. Im running a 285/40/17 Drag Radial and am beginning to think maybe its too short a tire.