Rusted bolt question

StangII78

Feb 3, 2010
Gray, GA
Has anyone on here ever had the top three bolts break off on the water pump while trying to get it off. I'm changing out the water pump and while doing so I broke off the top three bolts. There is about a half inch of bolt sticking out but I can't get these sap suckers to budge. I have soaked them down, put fire to them, nothing. I've had my vise-grips on so tight that my hands hurt and it just slips on the bolt. I have never seen a bolt that is as seized as these are. Anyone have any ideas on how I can get these out. I really don't want to cut them and drill them out. But, If I have to I guess I will.

• Sponsors (?)

Put your grips on and press back and forth, don't try to actually turn the bolt. Should eventually start moving.

that's what they make 'easy outs' for.

Yea, until they break off in the bolt you are trying to get out. I tried easy outs also, no go. I've always been able to get stuck bolts out. For some reason these just didn't want to come out. It's no big deal. I just wanted to know if it was common for these three bolts to seize up in the timing cover like mine did. I am very new to the Ford 302. Most of my experience is with Chrysler 318, 340 and 360's.

I snapped a head bolt off once inside the block of an old prelude I had. That was depressing, got the car towed to a machine shop to resolve lol. But I would have tried putting some heat to the bolts btw, I guess a little too late lol!

I did put heat on them as stated in the original post. Nothing I tried would work. These puppies were in there for the long term. Thanks for all of the advices everyone.

Theres propane heat.

Then theres MAP gas/ plumbers torch heat.

Then theres Blue Wrench heat.

I don't know how I would have gotten through some things without the Blue Wrench.