S197 Dd With Kids

Racerjoey1

Founding Member
Oct 21, 2002
Birmingham, AL
I haven't logged in here in years but always liked this place.

I'm strongly considering selling my truck and buying a car. I don't have anything in the bed 99% of the time and want something that's more fun. The only mustang I've ever owned was an 89 Fox over 10 years ago but I never had it good enough to drive on a regular basis. I'm looking for something roughly from 2008-2014. I know the Coyote was introduce for the 11 model and maybe I should narrow my search to one of those, but I'll read up on that.

I have a couple of questions for you all. I'm single and have two kids, 8 and 4. My son is the oldest and is 4'3" and about 55lbs. My daughter I'm not even sure but about 40lbs. She is in a booster seat. I'm just curious how well kids fit in the back of these cars. I only have them half of the time and would only need to take them in it a few days a week on average. I don't want them to be cramped although we're only driving 20 miles or so each way.

Can the passenger airbag be turned off should the need arise to put one in the front seat?

And finally, which year range 3v should stay away from to avoid cam phaser issues? Is it really a big problem? I'm comfortable working on engines but I've never been inside a mod motor.

Thanks,
Joey

• Sponsors (?)

Hey - first off it's good to see a stangnet 'oldtimer' on here!

I just picked up a 2007 GT for my daughter (her first car). My Kids are 15 and 13 now - so I can relate to the days of booster seats and such. I'm going to be brutally honest - this Mustang would make a terrible daily driver with kids. It's cramped, impossible to reach back into, and requires folding, sliding, and then readjusting the front seats every time you want to get back there. My old 93 GT vert had easier access.

I would suggest taking the kids and the booster seat to a car lot that has one for sale, and try it out.

As for the passenger airbag, my 2007 has the seat weight sensor to automatically turn it off if an underweight passenger is in the seat.

YMMV

-Matt

I have 3 kids and it's a pretty poor DD with kids. Fortunately, I have an older SUV also for the times I need to haul kids. Sometimes I get stuck out unexpectedly and the kids have to suffer.

As much as I hate to say it, check out the Challenger if you want a 2-door muscle car. Not sure it's great for kids, but it has more room and is at least better for kids.